Tattoo Tips To Consider Before You Get That First Ink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

The first thing you invariably hear when you tell people you’re getting a tattoo is ‘you know they’re permanent, right?’ as if you’d somehow managed to go through life having no idea that, when the ink is there, it’s there to stay. A tattoo lasting forever isn’t a reason not to get one – indeed sometimes it’s a reason to get one! – but there is a lot to think about when making the decision of whether you really want one or not.

Whether we like it or not, tattoos are often still seen as a taboo in many areas of employment. Whether they’re simply considered unprofessional or they hinder your ability to do your job, in careers like acting, it is important to consider future job prospects before diving into the world of needles and ink. If you’re not sure what field you want to go into yet, consider getting that tattoo somewhere universally easy to hide, like your feet or your ribs. Save the sleeve for when you know it won’t be a problem!

The other deciding factor on tattoo placement is pain. Everyone has a different threshold for how much of it they can stand so there’s no blanket rule, but the general guideline is that the closer the tattoo to the centre of your body (your heart and other vital organs, essentially), the more it hurts. The exception to this is particularly bony areas – think feet, hands, knees and elbows. You know your own body best and how much pain you can stand, so this is a decision only you can make. It’s also worth noting that colour hurts more than linework since it all has to be filled it, but any pain only lasts for the duration of the session and then you’ll be pain-free and beautifully inked!

A post shared by qcknd⛈ (@quietcoolkid) on

It’s definitely worth considering style when deciding on a tattoo. Do you only want the one? Or do you eventually want a full sleeve in one coherent style? There’s no rule that it all needs to be kept to one style, of course, and lots of people mix and match between traditional, watercolour, realist, new school, etc., but it’s something to think about before getting that first one!

Before you commit to getting your tattoo, do your research on where to get it done. What tattoo shops near you specialise in what styles, and what’s their hourly rate? Most shops charge a minimum, so even a tiny star constellation of four dots could cost £60 to factor in set up costs and sterilisation.  A tattoo is one thing you don’t want to get done cheaply. Find a clean and well-respected shop with a good reputation and a tattooist with a style you love. If it’s with you forever, you don’t want to be settling for second best, and when it comes to the use of needles you need to be sure to put your safety above the price.

Ultimately, this is your tattoo. No one can tell you what to get, or even if you should get it at all. Do as much reading as you can and make sure you decide on a design you’re completely happy with. The only other advice I can give to you is to make sure you follow the aftercare instructions your tattooist provides you with after the appointment. Once you’ve grinned and bore the pain, you’ll have a beautiful piece of artwork to be proud of!

King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.