4 Spooktacular Theatre Shows Not To Miss This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

It would be a crime to be studying in London and not take advantage of being so close to the West End, especially since it’s got a show for every occasion. If you’re looking for something suitably spooktacular for this Halloween then we’ve collected together a couple of recommendations for a fangtastic night out you can trick or treat yourself to…

1) The Phantom of the Opera

“Let Your Fantasies Unwind”

This West End classic has a gorgeously haunting overture and enough talk of murder and ghosts to qualify it for a Halloween show (although we’d recommend this one all year round!). A great option for those that might shy away from jump scares and blood, Phantom is more family friendly than some of the options on our list. It also features a masquerade ball with some award-winning costumes that are sure to give you plenty of inspiration for your own Halloween costumes. So, give it a try and find out why it’s been playing for 31 continuous years!

The Phantom of the Opera plays at Her Majesty’s Theatre, currently booking until March 3rd 2018

2) Young Frankenstein

“He’s alive!”

Featuring top names from the worlds of theatre and comedy, this show promises to be more of a laugh than a fearful scream. All the laughs of a comedy with the theatricality of a musical and a classic Halloween theme, what could be better? Young Frankenstein also offers a £20 daily ticket lottery – it’s free to enter with Today Tix! Try your luck and see if the spirits are working in your favour this Halloween.

Young Frankenstein plays at the Garrick Theatre, currently booking until February 10th 2018

3) The Woman in Black

“It was nine-thirty on Christmas Eve….”

Billing itself as ‘the most terrifying live theatre experience in the world’, The Woman in Black is sure to have you on the edge of your seat this Halloween. If you like the tension high, your blood chilled and your pulse racing then this is the one for you. It’s been around for 28 years, so seven million people have seen it before you and survived to tell the tale – but will you?

The Woman in Black plays at the Fortune Theatre, currently booking until March 3rd 2018

4) The Exorcist

“I’m telling you that ‘thing’ upstairs isn’t my daughter…”

Following the best-selling novel and the Oscar-winning movie, this play is the next incarnation of this classic creepy tale, supposedly based on true events of possession. With many years of experience as an avid theatre fan I can tell you that there are very few shows with an 18 age restriction, but this is one of those few. Warning potential buyers that it ‘contains material which may shock and offend’, our final Halloween theatre offering is not for the faint hearted. Perhaps take a friend with you to protect you from the demons…

The Exorcist plays at the Phoenix Theatre until March 10th 2018

No matter which you go to see, I guarantee you’ll have a spine-tingling good time, and the memories with haunt you for an eternity… In a good way, of course!

King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.