Brief News Recap: Follow-Up to the Brett Kavanaugh Case

After writing a pre-Senate Panel hearing news recap, I found it necessary to write a follow up.

So, what do we know?

Following Dr. Christine Blasey Ford’s brave testimony in front of the Senate Panel, the Panel still voted to move Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court Justice Nomination to the floor. On Saturday October 6th, Kavanaugh was confirmed to the United States Supreme Court, assuring a conservative majority on the court. The vote was 48-50, one of the slimmest margins in American history.

Although a conservative win, the confirmation is regarded as a blow to millions of women who have ever been sexually assaulted, harassed, or attacked, given that several women accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct.

Something else worth noting is that the vote was almost completely along party lines: 48 Democrats voted against Kavanaugh’s confirmation and 1 voted in favor. For the Republicans, 50 voted in favor of Kavanaugh, 1 was absent due to a family commitment, and 1 abstained, or was marked as “present”.

Despite women interrupting proceedings by yelling, “Shame!” at senators who voted “yes” and despite thousands of protesters outside the Capitol and the Supreme Court who felt personally attacked and misrepresented by Kavanaugh’s confirmation, President Donald Trump didn’t hide his support for Kavanaugh even after the allegations. According to The New York Times, Trump even went so far as to say that the protests are “phony business,”’ and that women were outraged by the effects of the claims on Kavanaugh. After the confirmation President Trump stated,  “He’s going to go down as a totally brilliant Supreme Court justice for many years”.