5 Services You Haven’t Been Taking Advantage of at Hopkins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JHU chapter.

You picked your classes, your packed your backpack, and you trudged all the way to your 9AM- like it or not, fall semester has begun. And while it may not seem like much work now, we all know that by week three, summer will be a distant memory and we’ll be back to spending long nights in the library. The good news: Hopkins offers plenty of services for students that make life on campus a little easier. But the bad news: most Hopkins students don’t take advantage of these conveniences. So here’s a quick roundup of five services to start using that will make your hectic life on campus a little more bearable. 

1. Laptop chargers in the library

That moment when you realize you have 7% power on your laptop, just when you were about to start studying- it sucks. But not to worry if you happened to leave your charger at home. The library has plenty of Mac, Dell, and iPhone chargers to borrow for a few hours which you can easily access at the librarian desk on M-level. 

2. Specialized librarians

Speaking of the library, be sure to utilize the librarians for all of their knowledge and expertise in specific academic areas. To get you started on a political science paper, consult the political science librarian for leads on where to begin research. Not only will this make your research process easier, but your professor may throw you some brownie points for taking extra initiative.

3. Get cash for psych studies

Need some extra money to get you through the semester, but no time for an on-campus job? Sign up to participate in psychology studies that can sometimes pay over $10 per hour. Study opportunities are often posted on Today’s Announcements- check them out for easy ways to earn cash fast.

4. Use empty classrooms

The library can get old very quickly during finals period cram-sessions. Need an escape from A-level? Most classrooms are open for study during finals period. Grab a few friends and find an open Gilman classroom for a much pleasanter study experience. 

5. Blue Jay Shuttle for groceries

You take the Blue Jay Shuttle home from parties, but did you know you can take it to Giant? No one wants to drag home heavy bags of groceries, so learn the shuttle route and get a free ride to and from the grocery store. Your feet will thank you!

Charger Image: autechnologies.com