Why NPR Music’s Tiny Desk Concerts Are My New Obsession (And Should Be Yours Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Music is a universal thing that can add something special to the vibe of any situation. If you’re anything like me, then you love to have some background music going while being productive. Finding the perfect playlist for doing things like homework, laundry, or cooking can be daunting and sometimes end up taking longer than the original task at hand. Instead of continuing my pattern of wasting time trying to find the right playlist, I have recently been really into NPR Music’s Tiny Desk Concerts on YouTube. NPR has uploaded videos of hundreds of different artists performing at their headquarters, allowing for anyone to experience an intimate concert in the comfort of their own home. Each video is between 10 and 30 minutes, so they give the perfect opportunity to check out new artists and discover new music that you normally wouldn’t choose. Tiny Desk Concerts have allowed me to expand my music taste because they’ll just auto play in the background while I’m getting things done. Some of my favorite artists have done Tiny Desk Concerts and it makes me so happy to listen to live intimate performances for free.

Below I have included links to some of my favorite Tiny Desk Concerts:

Tash Sultana

Maggie Rogers

Florence + The Machine

Daniel Caesar

Masego

Chance the Rapper

Tyler The Creator

Mac Miller

Khalid

Anderson .Paak

Jorja Smith

Lizzo

H.E.R.

Summer Walker

I hope that reading this article inspires you to listen to NPR’s Tiny Desk Concerts and expand your music horizons. Enjoy! <3

Sophia Bullard

Jefferson '21

third-year psychology/community and trauma counseling student 20 years old forever evolving