gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I’ve Learned From Having Sisters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Females are strong as hell. I’ve seen my sisters face heartbreak, anxiety, toxic friendships, you name it. But each time, they came out stronger. I can’t imagine going through some of the things they went through myself, because it was upsetting enough to see them go through it. But girls can take any hardship and turn it into a gift and that’s what makes us strong.

It’s best to be honest. Whether it’s about why you used their nice face wash, or if their friend has a reason to be mad at them, just be honest. There’s no one who’s going to respect your opinion more than your sister. Establish and maintain trust in your relationship with your sisters and trust will become second nature to you in the rest of your relationships.

It’s hard to be a sister. There are times when your sisters will drive you crazy, and you just want to kill them. But a huge part of being a sister is being patient, picking your battles, and learning to let go of the little things. The best way to get along is to see past your sister’s flaws, because we all have them, and focus on the things you love about her and your relationship with her.

It’s okay to be emotional. In a house full of girls, there’s always someone who’s moody, cranky, or just upset. You learn to help them when they’re emotional and you learn to handle your emotions when you are. You learn when you’re overreacting and when your feelings are valid. You gain thicker skin in some parts of life and vulnerability in others and that’s totally healthy.

They’re your first friends. They’ve seen you at your best and worst, and love you anyway. There’s so much we learn from our sisters about ourselves and different types of people. Being a friend to your sister helps you practice being a friend to others. I find that the kind of people that I get along with best are the type of people that remind me of my sisters. It feels natural.

They’re always there. You might have a friend that’s your “day one,” but your sister is the one who’s actually been there since day one. There’s nothing you could ever do to get rid of sisterhood, and you shouldn’t want to. Cherish the bond you have with your sister and you will help it grow stronger as you grow older. Just as she is there for you, try to be there for her.

Anna McFadden

Jefferson '19

.