We Do Not All Share Traditions & That’s Okay: Halloween on the Subject of Religion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Growing up, most holidays are a blur to me other than major Islamic holidays like Eid. It was hard for me…growing up getting presents for Christmas and then all of a sudden my parents sitting me and my brothers down saying “actually, it is not a Muslim holiday…we just wanted to adapt to Western culture since your friends at school do the same thing and eventually teach you about it,” same lesson goes for Halloween.

With that said, Halloween is right around the corner and for some of us that means we do not get to go trick-or-treating, there is no rush to go costume hunting, and no pillowcases need be found to bag candy. The reason behind it from a Muslim perspective is the fact that Halloween is based around Ancient Pagan culture and Christianity. From the point of view of a Muslim, Halloween is deeper than just dressing up and getting treats. Doing so, you are performing idolatry (worshiping idols). Muslims are not the only ones that choose not to participate in Halloween, Orthodox Jews, Jehovah Witnesses, and some Christians choose not to celebrate because they associate it with Satanism.

In my experience, instead of trick-or-treating or dressin gup, I give out candy with my mom or go watch a scary movie with friends. Sure, growing up it was sad seeing little people in costumes my age go around the neighborhood but ultimately, I respect my parents for making this decision to have us no longer participate in Halloween traditions. This has taught me to be proud of embracing my religion and its traditions and I can only wish that religious discrimination doesn’t make anyone feel out of place.

So, before you go throwing a Halloween party for a class or workspace, remember that there is a melting pot of religions around you and respect that everyone has different traditions.

I am just a pre-med student who has a big passion for all things public health, lover of the sun, and tea!