Spots to Visit in Southwest Philly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

One of the upsides of being a student at PhilaU is that we have the city of Philadelphia right at our fingertips. Unfortunately, one of the downsides of being a student at PhilaU (especially as a design major, in my case) is that it can be hard to find the time to actually get out and explore the city! However, earlier this week I took advantage of a necessary trip to look for fabric and beads in southwest Philly to revisit favorite spots and check out new-to-me places in the area. These are just a few spots in Southwest Philly I discovered (or rediscovered) during my trip that I totally recommend visiting if you’re in the Fabric Row area!

Beadworks – This is such a cute local place, and it offers some great supplies for handmade jewelry and accessories at reasonable prices. Their bead selection is so fun and diverse, and best of all, it’s arranged by color! They also offer a wide variety of stringing supplies, ranging from leather, suede cording, nylon string, and ribbon – perfect for bracelets, hippie necklaces, and the hottest current trend – 90’s revival chokers. If you’re looking for an intimate boho-hippie themed shop for your jewelry and beaded crafting needs, this is the definitely place for you!

Bainbridge Court – I totally ran across this little area by accident, but it was so charming, I couldn’t help but stay and creep! The buildings are all historic, and almost feel like little hidden cottages in the middle of the city. The flowers, décor, and the location all made for great photos, and I even caught a glimpse of one of the building residents, a sweet elderly couple who added to the quaint storybook feel!

The Hungry Pigeon – I stopped in here for a really late lunch, and promptly decided I could get used to the South Street area feel. The staff was so friendly, and the atmosphere was so cozy and relaxing! The café’s food and wine menu made for a great experience, while the low-key retro music and natural lighting made it easy to relax and enjoy some time to myself! I would definitely recommend this place if you’re looking for an out-of-the-way hangout spot to sketch, write, or do homework!

Other spots in Southwest Philly worth visiting are Moon + Arrow (a super cute cozy urban boutique offering everything from clothing to jewelry and vintage furniture), Philly Aids Thrift (a thrift shop that’s always full of surprises and the craziest visual merchandising displays you’ve ever seen), Spruce Street Harbor Park (a beautiful pop-up space that has gets set up near the waterfront each summer) and any of the numerous fabric shops and art galleries in the area.

PHOTO CREDIT: Christiana Sallard