This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Whether you’re still in high school, applying to university, or currently attending university, stress is one of the main common factors sweeping the nation of America’s students. Endless cups of coffee, five-hour energy drinks, and pulling all-nighters are a recipe for disaster, as many peers of mine, myself included, have experienced first-hand. Time management skills, organization, and planning are the three crucial steps I have learned are best to handle any semester of college. Without appropriate planning, you’ll find yourself falling behind, persistently overwhelmed, and extremely irritable. Make sure to always pack your bag for class the night before with all necessary materials and chargers for your laptop and cellphone. Be sure to bring a refillable water bottle to stay hydrated throughout the day and a snack to stay energized in-between classes.

During my first semester significantly far away from home, I was ecstatic to experience my first sense of self and independence. Defining your interests and hobbies is one thing, but having the courage to pursue them is another. Surround yourself with people that share the same interests as you, make an effort to participate in club fairs and find people you’re able to maintain a conversation with. Having a strong support system while at university is crucial to your first semester. Be sure to participate in the things you love, advocate for the people you appreciate, and speak out against the things you feel need to be brought to justice. Being on a campus is essentially being part of a larger community. Creating bonds, clubs, and friendships with others who share interests with you is the best way to go about it!

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis