Reasons to get Involved in Extra-curricular Activities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

1. Great way to make new friends!

One great deciding factor when you consider to get into an extra-curricular activity is that it can help you make friends. When you’re a freshman in college, the world might seem like such a big place for someone like you. If you find it even more difficult that you imagined to make new friends at a new school, consider what your interests are and try to find a club that meets those interests. You’ll find it to be a lot easier to make friends with people who share your interests!

2. Multi-tasking Pro!

Another benefit from getting involved with extra-curricular activities is it can help you improve your multi-tasking. When you taking on not only classes but also meetings, you’ll quickly learn that in order to keep up you need to set yourself a schedule and keep everything on track. Maybe you can even use a planner! Learning to accommodate your busy schedule will help you to multitask.

3. It looks good!

You may here this a lot, but I definitely agree that extra-curricular activities look great on your resume! Especially if you stay involved in a club for a long period of time and even grow to become a leader with club operations, employees like for you to demonstrate leadership and teamwork!

4. Self Confidence

Silly enough, getting involved in different extra-curricular activities can help improve your confidence. The more skills you learn from different activities can help contribute to your self-esteem, and once you find which activity suits you best, you’ll feel more confident in what you’re passionate about.

I am a sophomore Fashion Merchandising and Management major. Along with contributing to PhilaU's HerCampus, I am a member of Fashion Industries Association and captain of the Philau varsity volleyball team. I love music and I love to dance, & I may have an addiction to Instagram and online shopping. If you don't find me either outside or reading a good book/magazine, you may find me watching TV (too many shows to keep count). My dream is to become a buyer for a large retail company in New York City, & to contribute even a little to a magazine on the side would be the complete package.