Profile: Abby Orenstein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Abby Orenstein is an English 101 and 201 Professor at Jefferson university.

How long have you worked at Jefferson?

Since 2009 as an adjunct but became full time after that.

Where did you go to school?

I went to Brandeis for my undergrad, grad school in NYU, and my PhD at temple.

What brought you to Jefferson?

I was studying temple and I heard they were hiring teachers last minute. I ended up getting hired the day before classes started. I’ve been here for so long because my bosses were great and I loved the environment.

What’s your favorite part about teaching college students?

When students are self motivated and engaged, it makes teaching a joy.

When students say something I did changed their perspective, it makes me feel like I did my job and made an impact.

In contrast, What’s the worst part about teaching college students?

I guess the opposite of what makes it so great. When I know a student can do so much and they don’t put in the effort. I want all my students to succeed and be great, it breaks my heart when I don’t see them progress.

What was your favorite thing about college?

When I was in school, classes were my favorite part. I felt like they changed my life. I came back to teach because I wanted to keep learning and growing. I love the feeling of community learning inspires.

What was your favorite class?

Definitely creative writing, I love how freeing writing can be and I really enjoyed being able to take my ideas wherever I wanted.

Is there something you’re specifically inspired by to write about?

It depends on the moment really. But I love writing things that I think will make an impact. Topics like why it’s important to meditate and really find your center, the environment, and really anything about living a healthy lifestyle.

What’s your favorite thing to do when you’re not teaching?

I love going to see music in concert, and dancing. I love spending time with my family and taking time for myself to practice yoga and meditate.

Sam Miller

Jefferson '21

Hi! I'm Sam, I'm a fashion design major, my favorite color is purple and I love to sew, dance, and go on Pinterest.