Matt Berchoff and Marc Giangreco: Ravenkill Mansion Masterminds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

With Ravenkill Mansion coming up, we got the chance to talk to AXP President and senior finance major Matt Berchoff as well as Vice President and third year Architecture major (and this year’s Ravenhill Mansion coordinator) Marc Giangreco about their organization, and what this event is all about.

HC: So what is AXP?

Matt & Marc: Alpha Chi Rho is a social fraternity founded in 1895 at Trinity College in Hartford Connecticut. The fraternity aims to provide an experience that “Cultivates Men of Word and Deed”.  

HC: How long have you guys been around at PhilaU?

M & M: The Alpha Phi Alpha chapter of Alpha Chi Rho at Philau was founded in 2010. Every year we continue to recruit new members and are highly involved in community service and philanthropy events.  

HC: You guys do a lot of events, but I think it’s safe to say that Ravenkill Mansion is a PhilaU favorite! Who came up with this tradition?

M & M: This upcoming event will be our 6th consecutive annual Ravenkill Mansion. It was created by one of our Alumnus brothers, Jared Bilzak, when he was an undergraduate. Every year the event gets bigger and better, and the amount of ticket sales continues to increase. Last year, in 2015, we had over 200 people walk through the mansion. The brothers of AXP consider this to be the greatest time of the year because of how much fun it is to run this event.

HC: Ravenkill Mansion always seems like a huge undertaking! What goes into making it happen, and can you give us any sneak peeks about what we should mentally prepare for?

M & M: We spend 2 full days setting up the mansion adding up to a total of 20 hours of set-up time. We always try to incorporate the legend behind the mansion, including having someone dressed up as a nun every year.  The masks that we incorporate include clowns, animals, demons, etc. Props that we have included were spider webs, balloons, baby dolls, crosses, smoke machines, fog machines. During the entire walk through experience, we have a soundtrack list of creepy music playing throughout the night. 

P.S. – (If you’re interested in reading tidbits about Ravenhill campus’ creepy past and present, Matt & Marc recommend this link!)

HC: No wonder it’s such a hit! But as much as Ravenkill is meant to scare and create good memories and fun times, it also has another purpose. Can you talk a little about AXP’s relationship with Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) and how this event benefits them?

M & M: Ravenkill benefits the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia through our philanthropic donations [from ticket sales] every year. We help to provide a difference in the lives of children fighting debilitating illnesses and continuously saving children’s lives.

HC: That’s awesome. Who doesn’t love fun events with a good cause? So last question – do you guys have a favorite Ravenkill Mansion memory or experience?

Marc: I will always remember when I was first a part of Ravenkill as a freshman, and I was so amazed of the whole idea students taking over a school facility and turning it into a haunted house. I remember thinking while setting up the mansion how I wanted to be a big part of this in the future. Now this is my first year being in charge of it.  

Matt: My favorite memory of Ravenkill was when the original creator, Jared, told me that I was his best scare actor. I will never forget when I dressed up as a gorilla when I was a freshman. I got a huge amount of feedback, including finding out that two girls cried of fear because I scared them so badly. Oddly enough, this is how I convince everyone to come to the event.”

Well, I for one can’t wait to check out the event! Get student tickets for $3 or regular tickets for $5 at the door, and prepare to be scared!

If you’re interested in other opportunities to donate to CHOP, Matt also says that the general public can donate to the CHOP Foundation through their website. Check out this link for different ways to give to CHOP!