Mac Miller & Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

On September 7th, 2018 the world lost an influential, singer, rapper, and record producer. The life and the talent we have lost has left a significant impact on today’s youth and has once again opened up the discussion about mental health.

Let’s get some things straight:

He was somebody’s son

Someone’s partner

Someone’s friend

Someone’s idol

He was not just ‘Ariana Grande’s Ex-Boyfriend’ but many are remembering him as such which I find extremely insulting to not only Ariana, but to Mac and his family and friends. At 26 years old, was pronounced dead in his Los Angeles home from an apparent drug overdose.

In today’ society, we need to shine the light on mental health. If we receive treatment for injuries on our bodies we need to emphasize what some refer to as ‘brain health.’ Taking care of yourself not only physically, but mentally and emotionally will have a massive impact on your overall quality of life and self-esteem.

Just know you are not alone and there is someone out there who will be able to help you. If you are struggling, please reach out to a friend, family member, or anyone who will listen if you feel too uncomfortable to seek help from a medical professional.

Talking is the first step, and all we can do is hope the world will listen.

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis