A Letter to My Freshman Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Dear Freshman Me:

Hi. I know you’re nervous and not so happy right now with how college is starting, but I’m here to tell you to calm down and that it will get a whole lot better.

You will stop being homesick soon. Eventually, when you are actually home, you’ll wish you were back on campus instead. You will come to be fond of your dorm room, even if you do have a high lofted bed and have to share a bathroom. You’ll have friends over to play cards and you’ll even go to their rooms soon just to hang out. Do you know those other girls down the hall yet? If not, you should go say hi. They’re a lot of fun and you’ll spend many hours on their floors, laughing until you almost cry. And that one girl across the hall? She’s going to live with you one day! She’ll work with you and be your shoulder to cry on, so don’t be shy.

I know everything is awkward and uncomfortable right now because you don’t feel like you know anyone and your roommates feel like strangers. I promise you, they are not going to be strangers for long. Soon they won’t only be your roommates, but your best friends. They are going to stay up late with you, eat lots of ice cream with you, cry with you at Bollywood movies, and accompany you on city adventures. You will all make each other feel better on sad days. You are going to keep living with them over the next few years and will keep getting closer. They’ll come home with you for a weekend in the spring just to hang out. When you’re not at school, you’re going to miss them so much your heart feels heavy. They’ll probably end up being your future bridesmaids, coffee dates, and vacation buddies. So, stop worrying about friends right now; you’ll have some of your best ones soon.

Here’s another thing you need to do: get more comfortable on campus! Stop walking around with your head down, not exploring what’s there. Don’t just eat the same things every day because they’re easy and you know where they are. You probably haven’t even eaten one of the best salads ever from Common Thread yet, so please go down there tomorrow so you can stop eating yogurt with an apple every single day for lunch. Also, please look around for better spots to do work. You don’t have to sit at your desk in your room every time you have things to do – there are so many better, more comfier places where you could be.

Finally, freshman me, stop worrying about every last thing. Lots of the pieces will fall into place soon. You’re going to change your major, you are going to get a job you are so excited about, you are going to take public transit and survive, you are going to find out what in the world Manayunk is and love it. You are going to make some of your best friends and make some of your favorite memories. Yes, you are going to have some late nights doing work and go into days where you didn’t sleep enough. Yes, you are going to hit some rough times, cry a lot, and just wish your mom was there. But, guess what? You are going to be fine. This is your home now and you are going to absolutely love it.

From Your Junior Self

Kellyn Kemmerer

Jefferson '19

Senior Textile Materials Technology student from a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania. You can find her watching Food Network or funny cat videos, making lengthy Spotify playlists, window shopping, writing, and reading.