I Think We Should All Take an Intro to Psych Course, Here’s Why…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

As the semester comes to end, I find it reasonable that everyone starts evaluating what they learned in their courses and point out which classes were not valuable at all.

In my case, a class where I was able to apply a lot of what I learned into the real world instantly was my Intro to Psych class. It made me realize that everyone should have to take a psychology class. Similarly, to how in high school there were certain credits we couldn’t get out of and how in college there are credits that every major has to take, Psych should be a common requirement among ALL majors.

In Intro to Psych, we had to do an assignment where we had tie Erikson’s eight stages of psychological development to our lives (we had the choice to use characters too). For those of you who don’t know Erikson’s eight stages basically breaks our life into stages and then in each stage we have a task or crisis to resolve. Writing this assignment was very therapeutic, it made me realize why I am the way I am, and why others around me may act the way they do.

Another reason why I think we should have to take Intro to Psych is because mental health is a topic that should no longer be taboo in the American school system. Our generation is becoming more stressed and anxious than previous generations, which is something to take into consideration.

With Intro to Psych, we learn more about the why people act the way they do, we become more empathetic because we understand different backgrounds of personal development. A little more understanding of the diversity around us can go a long way in building strong relationships and increasing our own mental health.

I am just a pre-med student who has a big passion for all things public health, lover of the sun, and tea!