How to Stay Motivated to Work Out in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Going into the second month of the New Year its hard to stay motivated and keep up with those New Years resolutions you may have made not that long ago. With getting into shape one of the top resolutions made in 2016, this article is to help keep you working hard and to feel positive about your body.

To start off with set goals for yourself and a time line so you can keep on top of them. Remember to be realistic in your time frame for exactly what you want to do.

Next, one of the best tips I have learned to keep me motivated to go to the gym is to get a gym buddy or a couple of gym buddies. You want someone who will push you to continue reaching for your goals. You want this work out buddy to encourage you on your journey to a better and healthier you. 

When the gym starts to get boring or you find you are stressed on time for the week try staying motivated by watching fun videos that you can do in your dorm room. Youtube offers a lot of fun exercises fit to work out all areas of your body. Check out Blogilates on Youtube, she offers a lot of fun videos to work out to as well as great recipes to give your body the nutrition it needs. Another fun thing to do if you are sick of the gym is to take an exercise class. With so many different options it should be easy to find a class that you enjoy to get into shape. There is yoga, aerial yoga, Zumba, cycling, barre, cross fit and so many more!

Another way to motivate yourself is to only watch that new binge worthy Netflix series only at the gym. With most buildings now offering Wi-Fi it is easy to download the Netflix app to your phone and stay up to date. Now every time you sit on your couch ready to watch 10 episodes of the newest series you will feel guilty instead and hopefully you go to the gym to run and watch instead or work out on an ate home elliptical and stationary bike. 

Apps can also keep you motivated. One app called ‘Pact’ charges your credit card every time you do not meet a workout; this money goes into the fund of money those meeting their goals can get every time they workout. This would for sure motivate me, a poor college student who doesn’t need to be more in debt for being lazy.

Other forms of technology to help motivate you to work out is the Fit Bit. Fit Bits monitor everything for steps taken in a day to sleeping activity. It can monitor if you are taking a slow walk or jogging as well as monitoring your heart rate. If you are far in the day and have yet to meet your goals of steps for the day, it will notify you to get moving before its time to sit on your couch till bedtime. 

Lastly to stay motivated track your success and be inspired by how much you are accomplishing. Stay motivated to complete a New Years resolution; workout, eat right, and smile on the way to be a happier, healthier you!