How to “Rock the Vote” This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

March 1st will mark Super Tuesday, the biggest Election Day in the primary cycle. That means it’s about time to get serious about voting. Yeah, the process is complicated and confusing, but that doesn’t mean you should be scared off. At Her Campus, we know your voice matters, so we’re answering some of those questions that might be keeping you from the polls.

Question 1: Wait, does my voice matter?

Yes. This is your country, your future, and your government. Don’t let anyone take that away from you, ever. If you’re asking if your vote matters, the answer to that question is also yes. In 2014 Hank Green of Vlogbrothers addressed this by saying “If you aren’t voting, no one is hearing your voice, so they have no reason to represent you. There’s only one way you can change that and it is a very easy thing: vote.”

Question 2: Can I vote here in Philadelphia?

You can! As a student of Philadelphia University you have the right to vote in PA elections using your on-campus or off-campus address. You must be registered 30 days prior to the April 26th primary election (March 27th). PA even allows for online registration (you go PA!) and you can find out all of that on its official election site

Question 3: What about if I’d rather vote at home?

Registration varies from state to state, so here are a few popular ones for PhilaU students: NJ’s election site, NY’s election site, and CT’s election site. Make sure to check out when you have to be registered by before the election and how to vote by mail. The Economist provides a calendar of all the primaries and caucuses being held this cycle. Additionally, it can help you keep tabs on who’s won each state and how many delegates they have. 

Question 4: Should I affiliate with a party?

That’s a completely personal choice. It’s becoming very popular to not affiliate. Nearly half of millennials are not associated with either of the two major parties  Many of them prefer not to feel like like they have to vote a certain way. However, know that a lot of states, including PA, have closed primaries, and independents aren’t able to participate in these. Others feel a connection to a particular party and want to be able to organize with them, in which case affiliation is important. Regardless, you should never feel like you have to vote for someone because they are your party’s nomination. We define our political parties, they don’t define us. 

Question 5: How does this even work?

I feel you.  If hearing the words “delegates,” or “Electoral College” make your head spin, or you don’t even feel like you totally understand the system we use (which is known as First Past the Post Voting), you are certainly not alone. Luckily there are a lot of great resources out there that you can look into. I’d recommend CGP Grey’s explanation videos, which use simplistic animations to help illustrate these less-simplistic concepts. 

So go vote Philau, however you choose to do it. Here or at home, with or without a party, the important thing is that you make a thoughtful decision and voice your opinion.