How to make a Cookie Mix in a Jar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Before you start you will need to get all your ingredients and a 1-quart jar. The jar will hold all the dry-measured ingredients. You can gift this jar for Valentine’s day or birthdays and all the recipient has to do is add wet ingredients and bake!

To start, you have to measure out all the dry ingredients and layer them in a jar.

Ingredients

1. 1 ½ all-purpose flour
  2. 1 teaspoon baking powder
  3. ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  4. ¼ teaspoon salt
  5. 1 cup of toppings – M&Ms, chocolate chips, nuts, etc.
  6. 1/3 cup brown sugar
  7. ½ cup granulated sugar

These ingredients make about 12 cookies. When you are done measuring out and filling up the mason jar, close it up and make it look pretty. You can add a note with what type of cookie it is as well as include the remaining measurements for the wet ingredients such as:

1. ¾ cup softened butter/margarine
  2. 1 large egg
  3. ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract

That way whomever you are gifting the cookie jar to knows exactly what to do to have some sweet homemade cookies.

Tips to remember when making cooking jar:

1. Using a funnel will make it easier to transfer the measured-out ingredients. It will also make it a cleaner transfer.
  2. Try to pat down each layer so that everything is leveled out.
  3. Use a spoon to place the topping in so that they don’t sink to the bottom of the mason jar. Place them gently on top of the flour before adding the additional ingredients.
  4. If there is extra room on top, add more of the toppings. More can’t hurt anyone.

The final thing to do is to make it look pretty, either with a fabric or ribbon. Don’t forget to include additional instructions about what’s inside and what is needed!

Marlin Yacoub

Jefferson '23

I am a sophomore at Thomas Jefferson University majoring in pre-medical studies.