jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Through Being Single through the Upcoming Holiday Season By A Single Girl Herself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

My friends, sadly we are approaching cuffing season, for my taken pals this is great! But let’s not forget about my “single ladies.” Coming from experience (19 whole years of it) i’m here to let you know that you’re not alone. I’m going to give it to you straight, it’s TOUGH being single when you’re surrounded by love. These are a few things that i’ve gathered over the years that have definitely helped me through this tough period.

1. Do what makes you happy

I’ve found that establishing what makes you happy goes a long way. Whether it’s writing in a journal, singing, dancing – embrace it! I’ve found that you’re less stressed when you’re doing something you love. It’s out there, you just have to go out and find it. For me, it’s surprisingly been playing field hockey.

2. Find YOUR people

This one is a little hard to explain because your people can be single or happily taken. If you think about it, doing what makes you happy coincides with this one. Find people that make you happy and that you actually want to be around. Easier said than done, that I know but it’ll make a difference. Surround yourself with people that make you feel good and give off the vibe of acceptance. I’m fortunate enough to have my twins sister by my side that never makes me feel lonely. Except now she has a boyfriend…

3. Avoid binge-watching romantic movies if they make you upset

I am a BIG VICTIM to this. I just LOVE love. Especially with the past few movies such as “To The Boys I’ve Loved Before,” “Kissing Booth,” and many more; it’s hard not to. I usually watch Grey’s Anatomy and that keeps me going but it differs for many. You just get caught up in the love story and start to reevaluate your own love life. That’s 1000% ok but validate your feelings. You don’t want to beat yourself up over something that just made you happy right before the credits started rolling!

4. Be productive but DON’T overwork yourself

I am also a big victim to this as well. I love keeping myself busy along with setting attainable goals. Being productive makes you feel like you can take on the world! It’s a blissful feeling. Start making lists or even start listing out your day and what you need to get done. I’m always on my laptop so I have a to do list that I check off when I get an assignment done. The one thing I want to stress is that being productive shouldn’t be filling a void.

5. Embrace the loneliness – Be in a relationship with yourself!

It’s okay to be single – you don’t need to be in a relationship! Be in a relationship because you want one, not because you feel that you have to. Being single can be annoying at times but it feels great to just go out and live your life. Doing it with people that care about you makes a whole lot of a difference. Go for a drive, write, read a book – just do something that takes away from the daily stressors of life. I went on vacation in the poconos this summer and it was the best recharge that I never thought I needed.

Last thing I would like to mention is if you are seeking a relationship during this time, ALWAYS mentally establish what you’re looking for so you’re going into a relationship for the right reasons. I’ve found myself doing that multiple times where I’ve wanted to be in a relationship just for the sole purpose to be in one. You are the only one that can know what makes you happy, but if you already know what you’re looking for – may the odds be ever in your favor!

Hi! My name is Lyndsey Ferraino. I am a Pre-Medical Studies Major at Jefferson University. I am all about a healthy lifestyle (but in moderation I will not deny ice cream. End of story.) I also take my school work and my values on life very seriously. I keeping active by going to the gym and following sport teams. I have the most amazing, supportive friends and I love spending time with them. Although I say St.Patrick's Day is my favorite holdiday, I am a big sap for Valentine's Day. I love LOVE. I try to live my life by the motto "Where the mind goes, the person follows". I believe that each and every person has a purpose on this Earth and is bound to do great things for themselves and impact everyone in their passing. I also swear I was born in the wrong time period.