Girls Just Want to Have Fundamental Human Rights: Women’s March 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Unfortunately, 2017 was another year filled with prejudice, an unfair wage-gap, and problematic presidential policies. Whether it be the controversy over planned parenthood, the aftermath of Hurricane Irma and Maria in Puerto Rico, or the inability to accommodate the handicapped, America still has plenty of room for growth. On Saturday January 20th 2018, Philadelphia held the Women’s March leading up to its infamous art museum. Upon my arrival to the event, security was lined up and down the premise and within the museum to ensure the safety of all those participating in the march. News broadcasters were everywhere with their camera crews and helicopters circling the march, being sure to interview passerbys not participating to gather their input on the reasons for marching. The sound of police sirens were drowned out by the inspiring and captivating chants of women organizations who handed out flyers so others could join in too. The thousands of signs held and made by men, women, and children fighting for a safer world was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Once the march had reached the stage, over 15 guest speakers and a live performance of ‘Rise Up’ by Andra Day occurred, I have never been so proud to be a woman. As a child, I was raised by very strong women which consisted of my mother, my Nonna, and my aunts. I was fortunate enough to learn self-respect, human decency and what it means to be a woman by the age of 9. It was devastating to see other girls who were not as fortunate in that department as I was, for endless counts of sexual assault demonstrated with ‘Time’s Up’ and ‘Me Too’ signs really made me question how todays women are being portrayed and valued within society. The witty signs and slogans, captivating and heartbreaking stories, and the passion shared among all protestors alike was circulating within the air. Through our loud voices, numerous protests, and demand for equal rights, 2018 is sure to be the year of change. ‘We resist. We Persist. We Rise.’

"You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me." C.S. Lewis