First Fridays in Philadelphia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

As if you aren’t finding enough things to do in the city of Philadelphia, here’s one to add to the list. Every first Friday night of each month from 5pm to 9pm, the streets of Philly open up to city-goers, art-lovers and just wanderers. It started in 1991 by a group of galleries as an open house evening, and now over 40 art galleries open up their doors, allowing you and your friends to finally find that “hole in the wall” gallery that you have been looking for.  Most of the galleries can be found between Front and Third streets, and Market and Vine streets. This night calls for mingling, eating and drinking (if you’re 21 years old of course) and falling in love more and more with the beautiful city. 

Lucy Ferreira, a sophomore here at Philadelphia University, went to her first First Friday last month, and she only had great things to say. “As an aspiring art gallery owner, I am always open to events that give me an opportunity to explore numerous galleries. When I discovered that first Friday was a great way to see what was happening in the art scene of Philadelphia, I took my first chance to go.” Lucy went with four of her friends, all of which said that they really enjoyed their experience. “It was an awesome experience to wander the streets of Old City surrounded by other individuals who appreciate art as much as I do. From photography, to paintings, to sculptures, there were multiple perspectives of what art really is. Being able to converse with the owners of the galleries and get an insight of what their job was like was definitely the highlight of the night.”

Even if you are a college student finding it hard to squeeze out the money to do fun things, First Friday is free! Besides transportation, there is no fee to enter the galleries. You will enjoy the night life of Philadelphia, and it’s a different event to get involved in instead of going to the local bar in Manayunk for some drinks. Below is a link where you can find more information.

I am a sophomore Fashion Merchandising and Management major. Along with contributing to PhilaU's HerCampus, I am a member of Fashion Industries Association and captain of the Philau varsity volleyball team. I love music and I love to dance, & I may have an addiction to Instagram and online shopping. If you don't find me either outside or reading a good book/magazine, you may find me watching TV (too many shows to keep count). My dream is to become a buyer for a large retail company in New York City, & to contribute even a little to a magazine on the side would be the complete package.