This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

If you have Twitter, or have been on the internet at all, and love to look at dogs, you’ve probably come across Dog Rates or Thoughts of Dog a few times. Maybe you’ve seen them in passing, or follow someone who retweets them, or follow them religiously like myself. If you don’t, you should get on it. Both of these accounts are a bright and beautiful light in the Twitterverse. Dog Rates are simply pictures of dogs accompanied by a fun rating system that says how wonderful they are. Thoughts of Dogs are tweets from the perspective of a dog. Are you on your phone right now, following these accounts? Okay good.

So, if you are like me and love these accounts, you probably also know about Matt Nelson, the 21-year-old founder of the brand, who dropped out of college to focus on Twitter dogs full time. And, like me, maybe you like trying to reach out to people you think are cool on twitter and cross your fingers that they’ll see your tweet. With that being said, one day I decided to send out this tweet:

After I sent a tweet and he *actually liked the tweet* I went out on a limb and decided to slide into those DMs to see if I could ask him some questions about how it was dropping out of college to run these accounts.

Spoiler alert though, friends: he didn’t answer. I can’t say I’m completely shocked at all because I’m sure he’s a very busy guy, between keeping up with the millions of followers on both accounts, winning a Shorty Award, and sending out weekly Go Fund Me’s for dogs in need.  That being said, still definitely go follow these accounts if you don’t yet. It’s pretty cool that he’s the same age as lots of our readers and myself, and is probably making more money than I can imagine, all because he quit school to focus on social media. It’s really such a dream. If you don’t have Twitter, find Dog Rates on Instagram. I’m sure they’ll bring a spark of joy to your day, like they do for me.

One more thing: don’t be afraid to reach out to Twitter famous people you admire – it’s kind of fun. And Matt, if you see this, thanks for all the dogs – the world needs them!

You can follow Dog Rates on Twitter @ dog_rates and on Instagram @weratedogs. Also follow Thoughts of Dog on Twitter @dog_feelings.

Kellyn Kemmerer

Jefferson '19

Senior Textile Materials Technology student from a small town in Northeastern Pennsylvania. You can find her watching Food Network or funny cat videos, making lengthy Spotify playlists, window shopping, writing, and reading.