This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Since I can remember I have always been a “tired person”. I’ve never been good at waking up in the mornings (sorry to those who’ve witnessed me before 10am), always felt sluggish during the day and have fallen asleep in every car, couch or plane I’ve been on. However, within the last year or so it had gotten much worse. So bad I was sleeping through every alarm, drinking coffee like a mad woman, and having the worse fatigue I’d ever experienced. Over winter break, my mother became concerned with how tired I was, how much I was sleeping (like 12 hours a night) and my very noticeable mood swings. After talking to my oldest sister, we decided to get my iron levels checked as she had many of the same symptoms before finding out she had low iron. Yet, my iron levels were completely normal. So, I decided to make the rash decision to take dairy and gluten out of my diet after my other sister said that had helped alleviate her fatigue and tiredness. So far so good. I’m not as fatigued and tired as I use to be. I do still experience both which can be frustrating at times, but part of that is being a busy being a college student. It’s been fairly easy to cut out dairy and gluten thanks to Pinterest recipes, however, the cravings are real. Below are some of my cravings that I’ve experienced since changing my diet.

1. Pizza

All I want in this world is a giant greasy cheese pizza. This craving is so bad, I had an actual dream that I was eating pizza. And what’s even more pathetic is that I woke up mid-bite. I didn’t even get to fully enjoy my dream. It just made the craving worse.

2. Nachos from Taqueria

If you know Manayunk then you know that Taqueria tacos are to die for. Between the layers of cheese, crema, and veggies it’s a food wonderland that goes perfect with their house margaritas.

3. Shredded chicken burrito from Taco Bell

I’m not one that eats fast food very often. On the rare occasion I’ll get a craving and go with some friends to Taco Bell or In an Out. However, despite the fact that I haven’t gone to or thought about those places in a few months all I can think about is Taco Bell’s shredded chicken burrito.

4. Cheese burger

This is easily gluten and dairy free if I get rid of the cheese and do a lettuce wrap instead of a bun, but its not the same. At all.

5. Half and Half for my coffee

I like almond milk and have even used it while cook before going dairy free. However, it just doesn’t hold up against half and half in iced coffee.

So, there you have it. I’ve been feeling better since changing my diet and it honestly hasn’t been hard to eat better, but this girl sure misses her dairy and gluten.

I am a senior Textile Materials Technoloy major from good ol' Pollock Pines, CA. I love water skiing, dancing, and mom blogs!!!!!!! 
Cora Burns

Jefferson '20

Trying to figure it out and writing about it as I go.