5 Questions to Ask Your Random Roommate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

It’s that time of year again…back to school season! Starting a new school year is hard enough, let alone when you’re sharing a room with a random roommate that you hardly know. Living with someone becomes a lot easier once you get to know them. Ask them some of the following questions to start up conversations and to kick the process of living together off smoothly! Have a great semester, collegiates!

1. What’s your class schedule like? This is an important one. You’ll be in and out of the room at different times, and it can be helpful to know when you will have some quiet time to study, or when you’ll both be there to schedule time to grab dinner with your new roomie!  
  2. Are you planning to join any clubs/organizations on campus this semester? If you’re both not sure, make sure to go to the activity fair! (Which happens to be this Thursday, August 29th during break period…shameless plug.)  
  3. How do you feel about having guests over? Another important one. Being on the same page with the guest policy in your dorm is essential. Some people have significant others that stay over often, or friends that come to visit every weekend…it’s nice to have a heads up.  
  4. Are you a morning person or a night person? If you like to stay up late and watch movies all night long, whereas your roommate likes to go to bed at 8 every night, chances are there might end up being some problems. This should be established as soon as possible, in order to make the living situation ideal for everyone.  
  5. How neat/messy are you? Cleaning isn’t everyone’s favorite, but it always needs to be done. Make sure you and your new roommate discuss cleaning habits and a possible chore schedule…better to establish this now than later in the year!
Cora Burns

Jefferson '20

Trying to figure it out and writing about it as I go.