lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

We Were Each Other’s Lesson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

(Photo by Liam Simpson)

“Everything happens for a reason.” The quote goes through my head at least 1000 times a day. I was late to class for a reason. I woke up late for a reason. I decided to get coffee for a reason. You broke my heart for a reason.

Now, after months of confusion, I am finally seeing that I changed into a better person. After the way you treated me, along with how my “friends” treated me, I didn’t buckle down and become a miserable person forever. I’m a stronger and better person and you will never get to see that.

After thinking everything through, the countless nights, laying in bed, staring into darkness, wondering what the reason could be for all this happening, I finally realized it. We were lessons for each other.

I learned to never to bow down to anyone. If they love you, they won’t let you bow down. They will know that you both are equals, not one person is more important than the other. I know now that you have to stand your ground. If you want to work on you, then work on you. If the person you love has a problem with that then leave. If they don’t want what is good for you then they are toxic. They only want you to worry about them. I learned that if you are uncomfortable with something, say something. It doesn’t matter if the other person doesn’t like what you are saying. Stay strong and stand tall!

One of the biggest lessons you taught me was to know how I should be treated. You showed me how to not be treated. I know that love isn’t being scared of the person you love. Love is finding the feeling of safety in their arms, not fear. You taught me to walk away from what I don’t deserve and I can’t thank you enough for that.

I’m praying that you learned from this too. You learned how to treat someone you love. That when you get upset you don’t take it out on other people. That should put yourself in someone else’s shoes before you judge them. That relationships shouldn’t be centered around one person. That when someone sticking up for themselves is a wonderful, strong thing to do, not something you knock them down for. I hope you learn how to love right, how to love strongly, and how to love unconditionally.

No matter whatever situation, it happened for a reason. I was losing myself before you, and now I found myself. I truly believe the reason for you breaking my heart was bigger than we could even understand.

"She remembered who she was, then the game changed."