Tips for the Lost 20 Something

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Our early twenties are a strange, scary time in our lives. Upon turning 21 years old, I personally feel a little wary for the future. I’m not a child anymore, but I don’t feel like an adult either. It’s a weird feeling being between two such monumental phases of my life. What am I doing? Is my life moving the right direction? How can I possibly know? 

After a lot of soul searching, I realized a few important things. We’re not supposed to have everything figured out right now. Growth is a gradual process, not some sudden epiphany we have once we turn a certain age. It can seem like time is moving too quickly and we have to scramble to grow up. However, the key to growing up is taking your time. There’s no need to rush.

1. Don’t compare yourself to others. It’s easy to feel down when looking at what and how other people are doing. Why are they there and I’m here? How do I get that life? Just remember that your journey is your own. Focus on your personal growth and the rest will naturally fall into place.

2. Remember to have fun. Growing up can be understandably stressful, and it’s easy to get overwhelmed by life’s many responsibilities. However, don’t let stress rule your life. Remember to set time aside to enjoy yourself and relax. This is key to maintaining balance.

3. Talk to your family. They have already gone through what you’re going through right now, so they know exactly how you feel. Confide in them for advice and solace and remember to always keep in touch.

4. It’s alright not to have it all together. Move at your own pace and don’t become discouraged if things don’t always work out. You have so much time to build the life you want to live, so use it wisely.

5. You are not alone. So many other people are at the same point in their lives and feel the exact same way you do. Talk to people your age and hear their experiences. Don’t isolate yourself when you feel scared or worried.

6. Time will pass. Five years in the future, you’ll look back on this time and laugh at the worries you once had. Stay optimistic about what’s to come and keep pushing forward.

Don’t worry collegiate, you’ll get through this and be successful!