Tips for Finals Week

With finals week just around the corner, everyone is now kicked into high gear. So many projects and assignments are due, as well as those tests you have to study for. Trust me, I know it can all seem overwhelming. Here are some tips to help you get everything you need done and keep your sanity as well.

1. Use the Pomodoro method

(Photo by Marcelo Leal)

If you’re like me and have trouble focusing for long periods of time, this is a great tool for you. Pomodoro is this technique where you set a timer for 25 minutes and work on one singular task for that time. Once the timer goes off, you get 5-10 minutes break, and then you tackle another 25 minutes. After 3 or 4 of these, you get a longer break of your time choosing. It’s very customizable as well so you can set it to whatever lengths you want/need!

2. Take mental breaks

(Photo by Zohre Nemati)

This kind of related back to the first one, but you can only focus for so long before you get mentally tired. If you find yourself really really struggling, take some time to just relax and let your mind rest before tackling more work.

3. Plan out your day/week

(Photo by rawpixel)

Planning is a huge help to see what your week looks like as well as be able to see how much time you have. Sometimes you may even find some extra time hidden in there to work on more school work. Also, it lets you brain dump what you need to do for the week so you know what you’re up against.

4. Make sure to take some time for yourself

(Photo by Sam Manns)

You’re not a robot. You can’t work on school work every waking hour that you’re not in class, which means that you’re going to need some time away from the stress. Take an hour to hang out with friends. Go to dinner with them. Laugh and forget about the work you need to do, just for a little bit.

5. Drink lots of water

(Photo by Martin Sanchez)

If you do nothing else, do this. Self care can definitely get thrown in the wind in the last stretch of the semester and this will help you tremendously.

I hope these tips help and good luck to everyone on their finals!!!