Tabitha Daley, Future Dietitian and Personal Trainer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

“Work hard, play later.”

This is a mantra that completely describes the lifestyle of Tabitha Daley.

A senior nutrition and dietetics major, Tabitha says that academics and work are always at the top of her list of her priorities. Not everybody can possess unwavering motivation, but for Tabitha it’s easy, especially because of the passion she feels for her major.

“I think my passion stems from growing up with my dad who used to compete and watching him consume his typical ‘bro diet’ of chicken and egg whites,” she says. “Humans tend to eat more than they need to. It’s important to eat to stay alive and nourish the body rather than to revolve your life around eating.”

Because of her love for nutrition and fitness, Tabitha is a member of SAND (Student Association of Nutrition and Dietetics) at IUP, as well as other organizations like HerCampus and the Phi Eta Sigma honors fraternity.

But though Tabitha is rocking her last year at IUP, her college career did not start out so smoothly. “Freshman year I was this anxious, fragile girl that walked around with a fake smile on her face at all times,” she says. “I always tried to be optimistic and upbeat, but the relationship I was in at that time constantly brought me down and was turned into something very unhealthy.”

Like the intelligent and strong girl she is, Tabitha was able to seek help. “With the help of my family and friends, both from my hometown and from IUP, I was finally able to break free and enjoy the little time I had left at IUP.”

With the darker days behind her, Tabitha is graduating this May with honors, works out everyday, and spends her free time with great friends and a boyfriend whom she says treats her like a queen. Says Tabitha of her journey, “I’ve come such a long way since freshman year and I’m so proud of what I’m becoming.”

As for life after college, Tabitha has big plans and even bigger dreams. “After I graduate this May, I will be returning as a dietetic intern for the IUP food and nutrition department from August 2015 to June 2016, where I will be acquiring graduate credit to put towards my Masters of Nutrition.”

After completing her internship, Tabitha will then sit for the registered dietitian exam (and pass, of course!). From there, she wants to continue to promote the importance of health and wellness.

“With my RD license I aim to work with patients who are suffering from eating disorders and show them how important food is for your body,” she says. ”I also aim to complete my personal training certification and specialize in fitness nutrition.”

And although Tabitha is a busy, ambitious girl with lots of dreams to shoot for, she still has time to offer advice to anyone who is just starting their journey toward their goals.

“Wake up early,” she says. “I know that’s probably the exact opposite of what college students want to do, but try it. For me, waking up early and having that extra thirty minutes or extra hour before my roommates wake up or before I have to go and get ready for work or class really has a positive impact on my day. It’s the perfect amount of ‘me time’ I need to reflect on how I plan to spend the rest of my day. Whether you spend that hour scrolling through Instagram, drinking a cup of coffee, or reading a few pages in a book, it’s the idea of productivity that makes me happy.”

It is these bit of simple but thoughtful advice in conjugation with the way she deals with trials and challenges that reveal how wise and strong Tabitha truly is. With the determination and passion she has, there is no doubt that Tabitha will be changing the world one healthy and whole lifestyle at a time!

Tabitha is also a graduating member of our Her Campus IUP team. We are going to sorely miss our best writer of health and food advice! 

I am a student at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania with two strong passions: education and travel. I plan to combine the two by teaching English abroad after I receive my degree in English education and Spanish education. But for now, I am enjoying my time at IUP and life in general! I feel that a day in which I didn't express myself is a day wasted. I love to develop my music taste by DJing for IUP's radio station. I also really enjoy cooking and adding my own twist to recipes - I hope to make a vegetarian cookbook someday! Finally, I have always had a love for writing, which is how I got involved with Her Campus in the first place. I started as a contributing writer, and now I am a campus correspondent for IUP's chapter of Her Campus. I look forward to working with all of the other students who belong to this great organization and cannot wait to see what will happen when all of our creativity and ideas mix together!