This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I know I’m not the only one who can say they spend hours just scrolling through social media. It serves as a major distraction from important things like powering through the rest of the semester. Due to this, starting last week and going until finals are over, I have decided to take a social media break.

(Photo by Leio McLaren on Unsplash)

Don’t worry, the FOMO definitely hits sometimes but with so much going on, half the time I barely even notice it. However, I realized a few days in that I also needed to delete almost all of my games because they took a lot of my attention as well.

(Photo by Samuel Zeller on Unsplash)

So I guess you could say I’m trying to take a phone break. I am human so I’ve been making some mistakes but I think that I’m doing a lot better because this allows me to focus on more important things in my life.

(Photo by Eric Rothermel on Unsplash)

I have been more willing to do assignments without my phone around to taunt me to see what my friends are doing and how not stressful their life looks. Getting things done is especially critical right now because I most certainly want to go home.

(Photo by Daniel Chekalov on Unsplash)

Not only is it forcing me to get school work done, it’s forcing me to get personal work done and focus on myself. I’ve started listening to podcasts and at least trying to get organized before the semester ends. I just feel like I have a better grip on life than I did before.

(Photo by Jonathan Velasquez on Unsplash)

Most importantly, I’m having better conversations with those around me because I’m experiencing my life without a lens in front of it. Spending all that time in front of my phone is costing me time that I will never get back so I’d much rather use that time to my advantage.

(Photo by Helena Lopes on Unsplash)

So maybe take a step back today and think about all that you have to get done. Do you think that it would be better accomplished if you didn’t have social media as a distraction? If the answer is yes, just remember that you don’t have to delete the app forever, only long enough for you to stay focused on what you want to do.

Gabrielle Bonnar is a current undergrad student at IUP who enjoys writing for HerCampus. She enjoys writing articles as a way to express her opinions and experiences throughout her life. Also, this acts as an outlet for her to write about new interests and ideas that she might not be able to express as well through her other artistic mediums. Being a member of Her Campus has strenghtened her abilities as a writer and she is excited to see where this portfolio of pieces takes her in the future. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @typical_guby.