Wellness

Self Care in a Stressful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

You have a heavy course load, a job, clubs and activities you’re a part of, and a social life. With so much life going on, it can be hard to check in with yourself and make sure that you’re doing well. In such a stressful time, self care is essential and can make all that life seem much more manageable. So here are 5 small things that can improve your semester and make you feel ready to take on anything.

1. Wash your face

(Photo by Charles Deluvio)

If you wash your face in the morning, it can wake you up and leave you feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead. If you wash your face at night, it’ll clean off the stress of the day and leave you feeling more relaxed for bed. Whichever you choose, a clean face will always be a happy face.

2. Exercise consistently

(Photo by Emily Sea)

Exercise can help you feel better about yourself and give you more energy the more consistently you do it. The best part is, it doesn’t have to be just running for 40 minutes straight. Here at IUP, they have group fitness classes so you’re not the only one trying to get fit and they’re also a lot of fun. Plus, you can bring a friend and then you have a buddy to keep you going when you don’t want to.

3. Eat breakfast

(Photo by Joseph Gonzalez)

We’ve heard it all before that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that skipping breakfast is bad for us. I don’t mean to sound like a mom, but it is true. Eating breakfast will kick off your metabolism for the day and help you survive that 8am.

4. Drink more water

(Photo by Averie Woodward)

Similar to eating breakfast, this is one that I’ve heard from my mom for years. However, drinking more water will help improve your skin and keep your energy up throughout the day. Plus, with so many flavored waters out there, you’re bound to find one that you love. So, try trading those Diet Cokes or frappuccinos for a bottle of water this week and see how much better you feel.

5. Get a consistent amount of sleep

(Photo by Kinga Cichewicz)

Hear me out. I know this requires a little extra effort on the time management side, but this will help you in the long run. Getting more than six hours of sleep a night can improve your memory and keep you energized throughout the day. By spending a little more time in bed, you can save money on the coffees you would have needed if you only got three hours of sleep.

These few tips are ones you have probably heard for as long as you can remember. But they work and can really improve your semester, especially if it’s a busy one.

Cover image by Joshua Reddekopp

Gabrielle Bonnar is a current undergrad student at IUP who enjoys writing for HerCampus. She enjoys writing articles as a way to express her opinions and experiences throughout her life. Also, this acts as an outlet for her to write about new interests and ideas that she might not be able to express as well through her other artistic mediums. Being a member of Her Campus has strenghtened her abilities as a writer and she is excited to see where this portfolio of pieces takes her in the future. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter at @typical_guby.