Miss Thicker Than A Snicker 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I cannot think of a better way to embrace everyone for who they are and how they look than the “Miss Thicker than a Snicker” pageant. The pageant had five different contestants show off not just their bodies, but their personalities too. Ranging from short to tall and quiet to outgoing, the Black Student League did not discriminate against any type of girl and showcased their beauty; it was a joy to see. 

The pageant begins with the contestants doing a dance that was choreographed by one of the BLS members. Later they were shown with their escorts and introduced by the hosts to the crowd. A BLS member said,“Each girl was from different areas, raised differently and had different personalities but they are still who they are and nobody can take that away from them,” was the take home message from the personality and talent section where the contestants danced, sung, or performed a beautiful monologue.

The contestants Sha’Wanda Thomas, Jazmin Slaughter, Tianna Bennett, Regine Johnson, and Shanaya Shoats were put through the test to win the crown by trying to win the personality, talent, alter ego, questions and the crowd’s and judge’s heart. What was also great to see was that the BSL had the crowd talking about the pageant through social media, more specifically Twitter, using the hashtage #MTTAS2K14. After each segment the hosts would go through the feed and read some of the tweets. Contestant Sha’Wanda Thomas (far right) was the winner and crowned for the year of 2014.

The message of the pageant is simple: respect everyone for who they are and what they look like. Each segment emphasized this notion and I say that everyone should attend next year. Great job, Black Student League! 

Hey everyone! I'm a senior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a History, Pre-Law major and Enlgish minor. I hope you all are enjoying my articles and those of my fellow writers. Follow me on twitter or instagram - jessicavalenx3. Let me know what you would to see on HerCampus and we will always try to accomodate. Thanks and enjoy!