timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Keeping Up With 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Like many other people, you probably set some goals that you want to achieve this year. I know the most common goal that I always hear is getting in the gym and working out more. It is always funny how in the beginning of January the gym will be packed. As the month comes to an end or we begin to reach the middle of February, you will see less and less people. But, it does not have to be this way. Let me share with you one simple tip that will you help you be more consistent with your goals: get good sleep!

Just think about it; when you are well rested you will have more energy to want to work out, meal-prep, etc. Being a college student, I know getting enough sleep may not be the easiest thing in the world. But, you can start out with different techniques. A few changes to make can be having a set bed time, or fixing your sleeping area. Develop a routine for yourself that you can wake up and go to sleep every night at the same time; your body will feel so much better. An area where I struggle at is letting my phone and social media distract me when it is time to go to sleep. Do not let this happen! When it is your time to go to sleep, go. No matter what. I know individuals who set an alarm on their phone for their bedtime. Very helpful!

Another area that I want to touch on that goes along with your self-care, is to not stress yourself out about getting everything done in one day. Remember, being productive doesn’t mean getting everything accomplished; you are more than what you get done. Always ask yourself when your making your daily to-do list: how can I best spend my time today? Quality over quantity. Instead of trying to rush and reply to all 200 e-mails, focus on that 18-page paper that you should have started a week ago.

Happy 2018 collegiate! 

Graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a B.S in Child Development and Family Relations in May 2018. I have a passion for working with the youth, making a difference in the community, and having a positive impact on individual's lives. "A good woman, trying to be a better woman, while inspiring and helping the next woman."