nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

It’s Okay to Not be Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

It’s okay not to be okay

Everyone has their rough days, it’s impossible to ignore them. Just sometimes, their rough days can last a little longer than just a day, sometimes multiple days, weeks or even months. Nobody expects anyone to be perfect, or to be perfectly happy all the time. Many people believe that it’s weak to show sadness or take a personal day here and there. Honestly, I personally find it amazing, and find the person strong and brave for showing the true side of them.

(Photo via Sydney Sims)

Don’t try to hide that you are not okay. Embrace it. It’s okay to cry and it’s okay to reach out for help. Many people are ashamed or scared to reach out and get a therapist, but, honestly, it’s one of the best things to do. Reaching out to a therapist does not make you weak, it’s brave to put the judgments aside and do what’s best for you. Therapists won’t judge you, and they will be honest with you and give you tips on how to better yourself.

(Photo via Nik Sholiahin)

Always try to distract yourself. Go out with some friends, go see a movie, go window shopping, or even go for a run to burn off some steam. Make sure you don’t get into any trouble though because that could make things worse. Even venting to friends about what is going on can help, as long as they are patient enough to try to understand what you are going through. Make sure that you try to tell someone close to you how you feel. Keeping it all inside will only make it worse, and will make you feel lonely.

(Photo via Roberto Nickson)

Sometimes, we have to put the stigma to the side and admit that we are not okay, and be okay with it. Embrace it and then work on yourself. Put you first. Do what is best for you and you only because at the end of the day, you are the only one guaranteed to be there for yourself. Don’t give up. It can only get better.

"She remembered who she was, then the game changed."