Homecoming as Told by A Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Ah, Homecoming. The magical time where alumni come flooding back to their Alma Mater and the football stadium is completely full and people are even standing along the fences. Homecoming is a truly unique time no matter what college you attend. However, if this is your first college Homecoming—because, let’s be real there’s a HUGE difference between high school Homecoming and college Homecoming—you may be unsure of what to expect. Or you may have some preconceived notions that are not completely accurate. So, from a graduating senior, here are a few suggestions for this Homecoming.

1. You are not required to invite your friends from home.

(Photo by Priscilla Du Preez)

Your life at home and your life at school do not always mirror each other and that’s okay. If your best friend from high school wants to visit, but you aren’t sure if you want them to, it’s okay to say no or suggest they come another weekend.

2. You should go to the football game.

(Photo by IUP Athletics)

Even if you hate football. Even if you don’t have the slightest clue what is happening. Just go and cheer for your team because Homecoming games will make you realize that something as simple as sports can bring people together. You don’t have to stay for the entire thing, but at least stay until after the band performances at halftime.

3. Include free events on campus in your plans.

(Photo by IUP)

You don’t have to participate in Homecoming festivities all weekend long. There are plenty of things to do on campus that are free to students. Even if you just stop by on your way to somewhere else, there is usually free food and you snag a water bottle.

4. Prepare for the weather.

(Photo by Alesia Kazantceva)

No one likes being the person that has their raincoat, but if the forecast calls for rain throw it back to the 90’s and tie it around your waist. You’ll be a lot happier than if you’re soaking wet walking home.

5. Have fun and be safe.

(Photo by Gades Photography)

Homecoming is meant to be fun and be a celebration. If you’re choosing to celebrate with alcohol, be responsible. Take care of the people you’re with and be aware of your limits.

While approaching my last Homecoming at IUP, I am feeling especially nostalgic and realize how important these past four years have been in shaping me into the person I am today. Remember to enjoy this Homecoming whether it be your first or your fifth. Happy Homecoming!

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.