Culture > News

History of International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

March 8, 2019, is International Women’s Day! This is a day set apart in many countries to not only be thankful for the women in their lives, but to also appreciate the many ways women contribute to the world–past contributions and present day ones. A good way to kick-off this day is to understand the history behind it!

(Photo courtesy of SAGE)

International Women’s Day, originally National Women’s Day, first began in February 28, 1908, in North America organized by the Socialist Party of America. It was that day that over 15,000 women marched on New York City in order to protest women’s labour rights. 

(Photo courtesy of The Guardian)

After the first women’s march in the United States, Europe started to hear of this day and decided to partake. German Socialist Luise Zietz was the first one to propose a National Women’s Day. No date was agreed upon in that moment, but on March 19, 1911, over one million people participated in demonstartions for women’s rights across Europe. From then, the desire to have a day dedicated to women has spread throughout the world–Russia, England, Australia, and so much many more countries now celebrate this day!

(Photo courtesy of It’s Nice That)

The United Nations first celebrated International Women’s Day in 1975, but it was 1977 that the United Nations General Assembly decided March 8th was to be the offical day of celebration. I am personally thankful for this day as a time to remember the struggle we have endured, acknowledge the work to be done, and a time to be thankful for the women who have assisted us in making progress!

Happy International Women’s Day 2019!

My name is Jenna God and I am a freshman at IUP studying accounting! I’ve always loved writing so I’m excited about this opportunity to be an editor for HerCampus!