stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The campus gym: a facility that allows both students and faculty to work out, train hard, enjoy a few games of volleyball with friends, or simply blow off a little steam. With the increase in “fitspriration” and a huge trend to “get swole”, “swolemates”, and “if it fits your macros”, the popularity of hitting the gym every day and being active is increasing. As an everyday gym goer, I’ve noticed a lot of unwritten rules that many other gym fanatics or first timers just, aren’t aware of. Although I found a lot of them to be common sense, I guess many people aren’t aware of proper gym etiquette. Not sure what I mean by gym etiquette? After interviewing a few of the members at the IUP campus gym, I compiled a list of some of the most popular “unwritten gym rules”.

Rules of the Gym:

• Rerack your weights: Do you really want to walk up to a piece of equipment that’s loaded with weights that you can’t pick up to take off? We didn’t think so. Be courteous and put your weights back
  • If there’s a line for the elliptical, no more than 20 minutes: Again, be courteous. We are all (well most of us) are here for the same reason: to work out. When there’s a long line for the ellipticals, spending no more than 20 minutes is an acceptable time allotment.
  •  Wipe down the machines and benches when you’re finished: How would you feel if you stepped on an elliptical or sat down on the bench press and realize your hands were touching someone’s post back sweat? Yeah, we didn’t think you would enjoy that.
  • Be mindful of supersetting: if there are a lot of people wanting to hop on the machine or area you’re using, be courteous. Don’t take up two machines at once if there are people waiting.Do not interrupt someone’s sets: I’ve had numerous people attempt to talk up a conversation or ask a question while in the middle of a set. Be kind and allow them to finish, and then do whatever it is you need to do.
  • Allow others to grab a drink ahead of you: If you have a gallon jug of water oyu need to fill up and the person behind you only wants a quick sip, allow them to step ahead of you, and then go ahead and finish filling up your jug.
  • Don’t coach anyone or solicit tips when they are not asked for: it’s great that you think you know what you’re doing, but if someone is minding their own business and you come over, interrupt them, and claim they’re doing it all wrong, you’re doing more harm than good. Let them go, they will figure it all out.  
  • Honor thy headphones: Yes, that means if my headphones are in my ears that’s a huge indicator that I want to be left alone and do my own thing with no interruptions.
  • Give fellow gym goers their space: yes, campus gyms are inevitably crowded, especially during peak hours. Be mindful when you’re choosing where to do your workout—don’t cuddle up next to the man deadlifting 250 pounds. Allow him to finish or wait your turn before squeezing past him to grab some free weights.
  •  Most importantly: do NOT  make fun of new gym-goers, overweight, or skinny members. We all start somewhere right? So give them a wave and allow them to get comfortable in the gym. 

While there may not be a Gym Etiquette 101 course offered at IUP, this article contains very important information for any avid gym-goer. 

Hey everyone! My name is Tabitha and I'm currently a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Growing up with a bodybuilding father and a twinkie/brownie loving mother, the topic of food always ricocheted off the walls in my home. Living with two people who followed two different lifestyles sparked an interest in food, which led to my passion of nutrition and choosing the major of Nutrition-Dietetics track. When I'm not online scoping out new recipes and health articles I can be seen lifting at the gym, online shopping on my porch, or enjoying dinner with some great friends.