On-the-Go Breakfasts for Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Between staying up late to finish assignments and sleeping in until the last possible minute before you seriously need to wake up for your 8 am class, breakfast is probably the last thing on your mind. I hate to say it, but breakfast should actually be one of the top priorities on your morning routine. Why? Studies show that eating breakfast can help minimize one’s overall daily caloric intake, maintain steady blood sugar levels, promote positive academic success, and promote healthy choices for the duration of the day. Can you believe something as simple as nourishing your body in the morning can have so many positive effects in your body? Choosing a balanced breakfast doesn’t have to be as hard as we all think. Here are a few quick, simple, and balanced breakfasts that will keep you full until lunch time:

1. Fruit, nut and cheese mix: Couldn’t get any simpler than this! Grab an apple, a light (1% or 2%) cheese stick, and about ½ of a cup of high fiber cereal (such as bran flakes, Fiber One, or Kashi GoLean cereal).

2. Greek yogurt parfait: Grab a 6-7 ounce carton of plain, Greek yogurt (Fage is my favorite) and add a drizzle of honey, a handful of almonds, and a spoonful of strawberry (or your favorite flavor) all natural jam.

3. Homemade smoothie: Smoothies are such a great way to start the day and get your 2-3 servings of fruit in before your day has begun. Use your blender (I recommend Hamilton beach’s single serve blender—so convenient for dorms and easy to clean and store) and blend together ¾ cup of skim milk, ½ of a banana, and ½ a cup of strawberries. Feeling adventurous? Throw in some kale leaves for a boost of vitamin A and vitamin C.

4. PB&B Waffle Sandwich: Toast 2 multigrain waffles, slather on 1-2 tablespoons of all natural peanut (or almond) butter, and top with ½ of a banana, sliced. Put the two waffles together for a delicious sandwich or eat them separately, the choice is yours!

5. Breakfast pizza: Who doesn’t enjoy a good slice of pizza for breakfast? Toast a whole wheat English muffin and top with a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce, and roughly a ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese. The heat from the English muffins should melt the cheese a bit, but if you want your cheese extra melted, toss your mini pizzas in the microwave for a few seconds.

6. Oatmeal: One of the most important staples in the diet of a college student. Oatmeal is such a quick and filling breakfast that is so versatile. Take ½ of a cup of quick cooking oats dump them in a microwave bowl (or thermos). Add 1 cup of water and microwave for a minute. Add some strawberries, blueberries, banana slices, nuts, or even cinnamon. Mix and match and see what combination works the best for you. My favorite? ½ cup of oats, ½ of a banana, dash of cinnamon, and a handful of almonds. 

Hey everyone! My name is Tabitha and I'm currently a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Growing up with a bodybuilding father and a twinkie/brownie loving mother, the topic of food always ricocheted off the walls in my home. Living with two people who followed two different lifestyles sparked an interest in food, which led to my passion of nutrition and choosing the major of Nutrition-Dietetics track. When I'm not online scoping out new recipes and health articles I can be seen lifting at the gym, online shopping on my porch, or enjoying dinner with some great friends.
I am currently an English Education student with a Spanish minor at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania.  I work as a Community Assistant in one of the residence halls and volunteer as a tutor for students learning English as a second language.  My dream job is that of a secondary bilingual education teacher.  Some of my favorite past times include watching movies, drinking coffee, reading, and hanging out with my friends here at IUP.I am also the president of Her Campus IUP.  The opportunity to work with the talented writers, photographers, and designers that I do makes the position enjoyable and rewarding.  We work as a team to bring readers the best possible articles and events.