Four Warning Signs of an Abusive Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Toxic relationships come in all shapes and forms. We most often hear of abuse in romantic relationships, but it can happen in a variety of situations. Platonic relationships can be abusive, too. This is the type of abuse that often goes unnoticed or unaddressed, despite it being one of the most damaging of all.

Here are four signs that you’re the victim of an emotionally abusive friendship:

1. They Invalidate Your Feelings

“You’re just being dramatic!” A real friend listens to your concerns and acts accordingly. They don’t make you feel silly or delusional for feeling the way you do. A friend that pushes your feelings to the side shows that not only do they not care about you, but they can’t reflect on their behavior. Let this type of person go.

2. They Never Reach Out First

Do you find yourself always being the one to initiate plans? Do you only ever talk to this person if you pick up the phone first? If the phone doesn’t work both ways, neither does the friendship.

3. They Make You Feel Awful 

Honesty is important in any relationship. However, there’s a fine line between being honest and just being plain mean. A true friend takes your feelings into consideration instead of just blurting out the first thing that comes to their mind. You shouldn’t find yourself walking on eggshells, bracing yourself for your friend’s next attack.

4. They Don’t Support Your Dreams 

Friends are encouraging and always available to lend a helping hand. A friend who is constantly doubting your goals and aspirations isn’t a friend at all. They thrive on seeing you fail. Cut this person from your life and flourish on your own.

Cutting off friends is never easy, but sometimes it is necessary. At the end of the day, you have to understand that your own happiness is more important than maintaining a friendship just for the sake of not being alone.