Dorm Living: Healthy Eating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Before leaving for college we were all warned about the dreaded, inevitable Freshman 15. Many of us tell ourselves that it won’t happen to us and that we’re going to go to the gym everyday and we’re going to eat healthy all the time and we’ll be so busy we won’t even have time to gain 15 pounds. Until you’re lying in bed, on episode 8 of your current Netflix binge, eating Oreos (I see those DoubleStuff, girl), when it hits you that it’s been a couple weeks (or months) since you’ve had a nice morning treadmill jog, or even taken the stairs up to your third-floor dorm instead of the elevator. Oops! It’s okay, we’ve all been there, it’s hard! Consciously making good eating choices and exercising (semi) regularly ON TOP of being a full-time student and working and trying to get involved on campus is college’s biggest challenge, non-academic wise. Especially when you live on campus and you’re surrounded by unlimited choices. So, it’s understandable to feel overwhelmed and stuck in your unhealthy habits. Even though we’re past the first semester, it’s never too early to start making good choices, so here’s a couple tips!

• Don’t keep junk food in your room! This is the biggest one. If you don’t have junk food in your room, then having that unhealthy bedtime aka 3 AM snack is impossible.
  • Keep snacks like fruits, raw veggies, and trail mix in your cupboards! Listen, I know you woke up in the middle of the night craving those Chips Ahoy! but how about this apple instead? Pretzels, whole-wheat crackers, and almonds are also good snacks to have on hand!
  • When eating at the dining halls, it’s a common thing to fill our whole plates up and then eat all of it just so we don’t waste anything. Try this: go to the salad bar first. Fill up your plate with veggies and a fruit side and take your seat. However, don’t completely neglect carbs, proteins, and sugars. Just take everything in moderation. And don’t forget to listen to your body, either. If you’re still hungry, it’s 100% acceptable to get another plate. I mean, hello you’re paying for it anyways, right?
  • Make time for the gym. It doesn’t have to be more than an hour once a week or a half an hour twice a week or whatever works for you and your schedule. You will notice a difference, even if it’s small. Consider signing up for a fitness class. Most school offer programs or classes you can take to start working out!

Keep in mind that enough sleep and regular exercise are also big factors in living a healthy lifestyle. Though it’s important to work hard while in school, also remember to take care of you first. Treating your body right will keep you on the right path for a healthy future!