Changing Your Major, as Told by Parks and Recreation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

For many students, picking a major and sticking to it for all fours years is easy. You have loved the idea of studying it for a long time or you just recently realized what you want to major in. But for the rest of us who haven’t been quite so lucky, picking a major- and sticking to it- is very difficult. As an expert in changing majors multiple times, here are the six stages of changing your major:

Stage 1: When you first hear of a major that sounds cool and it sparks your interest

Stage 2: When you decide to consider it more by doing research on it and discover it’s the perfect fit for you.

Stage 3: When you finally decide to change your major and plan on never changing it again

Stage 4: When you start taking classes in that major and you start to second guess yourself.

Stage 5: Anxiety begins to creep in and you realize this isn’t what you wanted or thought it would be.

Stage 6: You go back to square one and start analyzing other majors again, envying the other students who have found their perfect one.

If you are contemplating changing your major, hang in there and use your resources! Talk to professors, academic advisors, or a mentor if you have one. What matters most is that you are comfortable with your decision and do what is best for you!

I am a junior at IUP who hopes to one day major either in Public Relations or Political Science with an obsession with music.