Campus Celebrity: Savannah Thorpe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Savannah Thorpe has got it goin on; this girl knows what she is talking about. An English major with a dual minor in Statistics and Biology, she is one of the hardest working people on this campus, and by far one of the most energetic. With an easily recognizable voice and more enthusiasm than would fit into the average person’s body, Savannah lives a busy and passionate  life. In addition to her busy schedule with its two minors, Savannah works and volunteers at the Writing Center (a place you should definitely check out, particularly for its Wednesday Workshops) as well as volunteering as a student ambassador for the Robert E. Cook Honors College on campus. Previously a writer for HerCampus, Savannah, or Sav to friends, still writes a blog reviewing books and Indie music. Taking two graduate level courses, Savannah tutors IUP graduate students, even though she is not one herself yet. Recently, while rediscovering/ranting about the wonders of gravity, I found Savannah loves Scientific American, TedTalks, and is a patron of the arts, attending a majority of the events on campus with friends. While walking across campus with Savannah, one can’t help but notice that she has many of them, friends and acquaintances smiling and waving as she goes by. This is hardly a surprise, as she has a love of many things, including: baking cookies, brewing coffee, singing, and riding her bike, Sven, who is named after a character in one of the many Disney movies she adores. She also has a self proclaimed “passion for fashion” something she declared after laughing at herself for her combination of socks, leggings, and moccasins that she wore as I interviewed her. Down to earth, Savannah is the one to ask for advice if you need it and will often, as she would say, give you “real talk though.” On the subject of statistics, she would say that “there’s lies, damned lies, and then there’s statistics” aware and skeptical of the realities of statistics, even what she has decided to study. Honestly, there is little to not be impressed with when you meet Savannah, and it is a blessing that so many people on this campus get to. 

Hey all! My name's Cat, and I'm a proud English major at IUP campus, with a minor in Woman's studies, and maybe even Asian studies too if I can manage it. I'm not nearly as much of a workaholic as that makes me sound like though, I promise. I'm a huge nerd, thanks to my daddy, so when I'm not writing or reading you can catch me watching eclectic shows, playing strange games, and discussing why each of my friends is which superhero. My biggest vice is coffee, my favorite sport is marathon reading, and my favorite color is yellow, in case any of you lovely people really wanted to know. Feel free to contact me at any time, even just to chat! <3