5 Thoughts You Have While Completing FAFSA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

If you’re a student in college, more than likely you’ve filled out a FAFSA. The FAFSA, with all its benefits, often proves to be a major headache that causes great confusion among students and parents/guardians alike.

Here are 5 thoughts you’ve probably had if you’ve applied for financial aid with FAFSA.

1. What does FAFSA even stand for?!

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is an application that undergraduate and graduate students are able to complete to see if they’re eligible for financial aid.

2. Wait, what taxes do I need?

The change to being able to complete the FAFSA earlier (October 1st) has created a great deal of confusion when it comes to what taxes to use. If you’re looking to fill out your FAFSA for 2017-2018, you’ll need your 2015 taxes.

3. What are my parents’ social security numbers? What is my social security number?

If you’re ready to start your FAFSA, you may want to make sure that you call home beforehand because more than likely you’ll have questions that you don’t know the answer to.

4. Do they want my information or my parents?

Some of the questions on the application are just flat out confusing. The application switches from asking about the student to asking about the parent and back and forth for what seems like an eternity.

5. Why do I put myself through this?

While completing the FAFSA is a major pain, it really does help if you are eligible to receive aid.

Good luck with those FAFSA’s this year, and remember to be eligible for Pennsylvania grants, it has to be completed by May 1st! 

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.