5 Things You Shouldn’t Say to Girls with Short Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Short hair and pixie cuts have become quite the trend thanks to Emma Watson, Jennifer Lawrence, Miley Cyrus, and other big-name women in Hollywood. Chopping off all of your hair is quite exhilarating and empowering but it does have its drawbacks. Like most bold style statements, cutting off your long locks will have people talking—but not always in a good way. Here are the top 5 things that you should never say to girls with short hair.

1. “But your long hair was so pretty!”

Yes, I know. Now it’s short and pretty. #dealwithit

2. “Long hair is better.”

Neither is better. It’s all personal preference. If you really feel the need to tell me how you feel about long vs. short hair, please use “I” statements at least. For example, “I prefer longer hair.” I still don’t care all that much about your opinion, but thank you for being less rude about it.

3. ”Are you a lesbian?”

Fun fact: hair length does not directly correlate with how much I like boys. Also, it’s none of your business.

4. ”Boys don’t like short hair.”

I couldn’t care less if I tried. I don’t exist to please others, male or female.

5. ”Is this some sort of phase/cry for help?”

Just stop.

Don’t get worked up if people say anything like this about your ‘do and certainly don’t let it discourage you from taking the plunge and getting that pixie cut you’ve always wanted. You can’t please everyone so keep on doing you and rock whatever hairstyle you want!

Hey, lovelies! My name is Alyssa and I'm an English major at IUP's Cook Honors College! My interests include reading, writing (duh!), art of all kinds, and music. If it's your style, feel free to follow me on Instagram and/or Twitter! @at_the_h3lm