stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things to Think About Before You Bash Your Body

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

The last few years have been a roller coaster when it comes to body image, specifically the idea of “shaming” other women’s bodies. Whether you’re thin, curvy, bigger boned, or a bit bustier, we all have had those days where we don’t even want to glance in the mirror. Shaming other bodies and even shaming our own bodies is an extremely unhealthy habit that many of us do. With the media making us feel that we aren’t up to par in their beauty standards, it can be fairly difficult to love our own skin. Feeling self-conscious can stem from so many reasons, such as a bad hair day to getting worked up over your jeans that don’t fit anymore. Here’s a few things you should think about before you start spewing venom about your body.

1)      Your body is a machine: your legs, your arms, your hands…every part of your body aides in your ability to walk, drink, create, speak, and so forth. Be thankful for what you were given: your strong legs, your long torso, etc.

2)      Confidence is sexy: walk around with your head high and a killer smile. Confidence is a quality that can outshine any physical beauty.

3)      No one cares about you more than you do: we’re all so preoccupied with our own problems and blemishes that we won’t be staring at yours.

4)      There’s more to you than your body: the way you laugh when someone tells a joke, the way you get all excited when you see your dog, your ability to plan, organize, and lead…yeah those are all beautiful qualities so STOP OVERLOOKING THEM!

5)      Change is possible: if you’re feeling down about yourself, then work on boosting your confidence. Eat healthy, work out, socialize with friends, and get your beauty sleep. Don’t let anyone let you think that you can’t achieve your goals. If you put your mind to something, you can accomplish anything.

Hey everyone! My name is Tabitha and I'm currently a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. Growing up with a bodybuilding father and a twinkie/brownie loving mother, the topic of food always ricocheted off the walls in my home. Living with two people who followed two different lifestyles sparked an interest in food, which led to my passion of nutrition and choosing the major of Nutrition-Dietetics track. When I'm not online scoping out new recipes and health articles I can be seen lifting at the gym, online shopping on my porch, or enjoying dinner with some great friends.