Cheers to Little 500

Finally, IU’s annual Little 500 almost here! Next week is dedicated to booze, bikes and… more booze? If you’re sick of Karkov and Sprite, check out some of HCIU’s favorite beverages made specifically for Hoosiers! Cheers to 2013’s Little 500!

• Hoosier Sparkler: As collegiettes, we’re all broke. If you’re scraping your wallets, here’s something cheap and easy. Visit Taco Bell and buy yourself a Cherry Limeade Sparkler. Toss in one, two... or a few shots of your choice (we recommend vodka) and head to the races! The cherry syrup even adds a bit of crimson to your drink! This beverage will make you wonder if it’s the alcohol that’s making your eyes water or just the carbonation.

• Big Red: To embrace your spicy side (and yes, we know you have one), try one of these cinnamon-flavored shots. The recipe is simple enough: ½ shot of tequila and ½ shot of Cinnamon Schnapps. Introduce this recipe to your friends and you'll be the hot shot on campus - no pun intended.

• Cutters’ Cosmo: A classic drink that will help you enjoy the races just a little more next weekend. Again, the recipe is super simple. 1 oz. vodka, ½ oz. Triple Sec, ½ oz. lime juice and ½ oz. cranberry juice. Although this beverage might not help the Cutters win, it should give you a boost to your weekend!

• Biker’s Warm-Up: Unlike the name, this drink will put you well past a warm-up. 1 shot of vodka, 1 shot of gin, orange juice, lemon juice and a dash of Grenadine. Remember, when in doubt - pinky out!

• Crimson Class Act: As classy collegiettes know, wine should never be wasted! Here’s a simple sangria recipe. 1 bottle of red wine, 1 whole lemon (cut into wedges), 1 whole orange (cut into wedges), 2 tbsp sugar, 1 shot of Brandy, 2 cups of club soda or Ginger Ale. After pouring the wine into a pitcher, squeeze the juice out of the lemon and orange into the pitcher and then toss in the wedges minus the seeds. Add sugar and brandy. Chill the mix overnight. Add soda before serving.

Please drink responsibly and stay safe collegiettes!

About the Author