Style

A Trip Back To 2022 Beauty Trends: Bleached Brows To Pumpkin Pie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUPUI chapter.

2022 was a true renaissance in terms of beauty trends and trust me when I say it was a real movement (and we have to give it to Euphoria for the increased normalization of casually adding face laces and gems to our daily makeup routines). Last year brought us a series of well-curated sexy, minimalist, aesthetically messy, spooky and cozy looks and nobody would argue against the claim that these looks are the trendsetters for another few decades. 

One inevitably great thing about last year was that there was a look for every season that generated main character energy, and those looks had variations that could be adapted by anybody. For sure, the 2022 season has been a lot about glazed and sun kissed looks that have been in trend for some years previously, but the various versions of the same ‘glazed-doughnut’ look with shiny slick-backs made everybody’s jaws drop and especially after the pandemic, the world needed such iconic looks. Here’s seven looks that altered the aesthetic of TikTok post-Covid:

Kendall Jenner’s Redhead Transformation

c iW5gTJHw5VkEg dPfBobjFE1Or08uWNxyVnmaXEFeivyRG7cv4sQnCyDzoWhQAmfRVlE1m9ZKowfcahOqK3sv1IhTpi2zyX0hACOmrCrVy zz0zW8b93j2RRG7XCflFdZTdmWwlQIe8 uZpTBe2NI

The icon of minimalism from one of the most glam families in the world, Kendall Jenner, did it again with her Copper Red hair debut at the Prada autumn/winter 2022 show. There have been models that have previously dyed their hair fully red, but the glossiness of the look when Kendall had her hair slicked back with an excessive amount of hair gel (which was a good thing), would for sure have a place in fashion history books. 

face embellishments: Conner ives’s y2k themed runway debut makeup

BFL5fSE7ravKNUTTohzFStZ6ICp55MOwUZoSM lwTajwoln fCgPEh 48u2HSjcdIlDCc1mSv Yi4t 5HV28 5MFeJsGQVa4lo12AiojOoi Y6WYbTKsHCB4bVh8nzjd8mc9ZXK5jJdTXM6LPZwz7T4

Beyond the fact that Conner Ives’s FW 2022 was a wild nostalgic trip back to his early teens when people did not even recognize careers in fashion and beauty to be real jobs, the makeup and accessories that the runway models wore, were literally out of the world. Ranging from cute butterfly clips to spiky face laces to face gems that have been addressed as “tacky” in fashion previously, makeup artist Miranda Joyce and hairstylist Anthony Turner whipped up a whole storm that very well backed up Ives’s idea of making “weird” young women cool again. 

Bleached eyebrows

P M6pqGyECPegLvwiqgFE8Fs5rJxtmTj5ar5

The Hadid sisters did it again: they told everybody once again that it’s their world and we are all just existing in it. And who’s better to go to for killer transformation than the one and only Pat McGrath? The bleached-out brows only made the Hadid sisters look hotter and more powerful, and the alien beauty look of black smeared eyes complimented the entire look very well. 

The inside-out blush

DkPRuhmaXW44HY4b4vREWDRO50QAy4AR

Here’s the look that set TikTok on fire. The sun kissed, ‘clean-girl’ look has been on for quite a few years now, but people have been experimenting a lot with the layering, like whipping up foundation, pumping foundation into water, and even using concealer before foundation. The inside-out blush, more commonly known as ‘blush from within’ is where you layer blush below foundation, instead of layering it on top of foundation. This gives the entire look a better pop-up and is such a game changer. 

vinyl lips

38OxdH1QT0 JJBxAtEfIrzlHmHHzIYgMZtXyiJwLaSfrpJL2viDhgR3kteRKRChXmcPUArGl v9K83g52T49Qi57WX4sQIXhvo UI9gIZguY K4kri8e1E8mlJotZQqMs9EchqBGTb4vySr6zNlGC2c

BOLD lips are back again, but with a twist! 2022 loved gloss and Vinyl Lips is just another example. This lip trend is so classic, and it is all about the coverage. This look embraces the idea of a glossier version of neatly lined plump lips look. The clean girl look is either fully matte lips or just plain gloss, but this look mixes both together. 

Pumpkin Pie

asR uKL4PFmVRdfrUV BulbJDIj 9nOoePgUFbp24tBbMuVq4TJpZg1kGfHACbq5lJWsYnZ Aa9YwpKeG4Xim15E fFG6Ejt1g 0LCHXG1YxgiaUwA9mCG ljA3mE6mcATO5SXJGRTzhTS0bN1scn6o

Our beloved former Euphoria star, Barbie Ferreira, brought in this amazing fall look. It is the fun version of the clean, glazed doughnut look: orange faded-effect eyeshadow with a more natural-looking rest of the face. You can rely on this look, because it would go perfectly with anything, whether it be a cozy fall sweater or a summertime Y2K style strapless belted top. 

damp hair

RTVoJWpcxWCyxB8vHHvAPNGsNeIn9nvWhm rPWEBPLYKdo6NZ0PvkArgR6aLcI2oyS 4 8Fyo1jB4AT4cpR82qbsrWJtW8RA3q8QXZz6Rm x4G9BIg5Kvy9vVsf89ycPa qvn hm2Zfug2IpLdpmv8

If somebody told you that beauty is only about looks, don’t trust them, because here comes texture baby! There has been an intense argument for decades regarding if water makes people look prettier, and the answer is yes. Nothing compliments power dressing better than a good slicked-back damp hair and 2022 reminded the fashion world of that. 

Prathika is the Senior Editor of IUPUI's Her Campus chapter and she doesn't refer to herself as a writer most of the times.