This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

Most of Pixar’s movies are great, but there is one that stands above the rest: RatatouilleRatatouille is hands down the best Pixar movie, but it doesn’t get the recognition it deserves. Everything about the movie makes it perfect, but here are a few reasons why it’s the best Pixar movie.

1. The Unique Story

I defy you to find another movie with a plot similar to Ratatouille.  It simply cannot be done. Sure, Disney has a lot of movies where humans befriend animals, but those are all princess movies and the animals don’t play into a serious plot. Remy isn’t like other Disney rats. Remy doesn’t sing or dance or make clothes; he has dreams and ambitions. Remy is serious about becoming a chef even though his family and his size are against him. By luck, he finds Linguini, a human with no cooking skills who needs to impress the head chef at the famous French restaurant where he started working at as a garbage boy. Linguini messes up a soup, Remy comes to the rescue and boom: an unlikely partnership and friendship. Remy controls Linguini by hiding under his hat and pulling his hair. No one knows about their system, but the head chef is suspicious and worried that Linguini is messing with him because he knows about a big secret. There’s a lot going on in this movie, but it all blends together seamlessly. 

2. The Beautiful Animation

All Pixar movies have great animation (even those few terrible ones), but Ratatouille is visually stunning. The way that the animators capture Paris is breathtaking, and it’s amazing how realistic everything in the kitchen looks. The clothes look like they’re made from real cloth and all of the metal looks so shiny and real. I have always appreciated when animated food looks good, and it’s an understatement to say that the food in Ratatouille looks good. Even though you know those gourmet dishes are fake that doesn’t stop you from wanting to try all of the food that appears on the screen.

3. The Life Lessons

Who would have thought that a movie about a rat who cooks could be filled so many life lessons? Chef Gusteau’s motto is “anyone can cook,” and that message is repeated throughout the film. The food critic Ego scoffed at this until he learned that it meant, “Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.” That is such a beautiful message and reminds us that talent can come from anyone and not to discredit someone based on what they appear to be. Ratatouille also shows us the harsh reality of sexism in the food industry and that with enough hard work and determination, anyone can make it.

Gillian was the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Ithaca from September 2018 to May 2019. She was a journalism major and anthropology minor at Ithaca College and graduated in May 2019. Gillian enjoys reading, writing, Harry Potter, the Sims and grilled cheese.