This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and with this day of love and happiness, comes just a bit of stress. We all want to get our loved ones the best, most thoughtful, impressive gifts, but sometimes there’s just not enough time to get that perfect thing to fit the bill. Well, this year, I’ve got you covered. Here are just a few quick and easy gifts that are sure to put a smile on your lover’s face.

A Basket of Goodies

This one is the best one, in my opinion, and it’s not just because I am a gift basket fanatic (okay, maybe it is because of that, but just hear me out) Gift baskets are a perfect choice because they can be personalized entirely. You can add their favorite candies, cute trinkets, or maybe just some meaningful notes and pictures. With this one, presentation is everything. Picking a common color or sticking to a simple theme will make the basket appear carefully coordinated and put together, regardless of whether or not it was thrown together in fifteen minutes. 

A Coupon Booklet

This particular gift is definitely drawing inspiration from the gifts third graders give to their moms on Mother’s Day, but it can be made classier. Perhaps there are some things that your partner just loves to do that you’re not the biggest fan of. Whether it be a night out or just a trip to the grocery store, putting these tasks down on hand-decorated ‘coupons’ shows that you’re not only listening to their interests but that you’re also willing to give them a try, just for them. These easy to make cards are a surefire way to show your significant other that you care.

A Handwritten Letter

Writing your lover a personal note like this is a way to take them back to a more old-fashioned type of romance. Let them know all the things you love about them or all the things you’re looking forward to in your relationship, bonus points if you use Old English terms, and dress the note up fancy. I’ve even seen people give their partners love letters in glass bottles with wax seals and everything. Really, the more you lean into the whimsy of it all, the better off you’ll be.

A Home-Cooked Meal

That’s right, a home-cooked meal. Now it really doesn’t have to be anything fancy or out of the box — what you make is entirely up to you! “A Lady and the Tramp” themed plate of spaghetti, a fresh and fancy salad, or maybe just whatever their favorite food is. The most important aspect of a home-cooked meal is the effort and thought that goes into it. You could even make a couple’s activity out of it!  Make the meal with your partner, that way, not only are you sharing some good eats, you’re sharing the experience. 

A Potted Plant

All the romance of a flower bouquet with none of the premature wilting? Sign me up! A potted plant can be picked up almost anywhere a bouquet can, and they can be easily customized. Get them their favorite potted plant or flower, and, unlike the usual bouquet, it will stick around for a long while. If you’re willing to go the extra mile you can even add little paintings or pictures to personalize the gift, something small like that will make the gift mean just that much more.

Ela Messina

Illinois State '24

Ela is a junior marketing major and mass media minor at Illinois State. Aside from writing, she spends her downtime playing with her dogs, binging the newest TV comedies, and baking any and every dessert in the cookbook! Ela is the senior editor for the Illinois State chapter of Her Campus.
Contributor account for Illinois State