Words Of Advice I’ve Been Giving To Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Leading a happier, healthy lifestyle has been a journey of ups and downs for me, and I’m still learning, growing, and changing every day. 

I never understood the impact of having a routine and holding myself accountable for being the only person who could create a better life for myself up until recently. The hard truth is that, at the end of the day, we only have ourselves and because of that, we are the only people who can truly make ourselves happier and healthier. 

After realizing this I made myself, my mental health, and my happiness a priority. I started focusing on ways to better myself and giving myself grace when I got in ruts or found obstacles in the way of getting there. It is okay to screw up or fall off track, the only thing that matters is getting back up and trying again. When I feel myself getting off track, I let myself feel those emotions, take a break, and then get back on my journey to a better lifestyle. 

It takes time, practice, and many mistakes along the way to develop a routine and mindset that works. And even then, there are always going to be good days and bad days. I try not to let the bad days cloud my judgment and lose sight of my end goals, whatever they may be. 

I still have so much to learn and so much growth to obtain, but that almost feels comforting in a way—knowing life is ever-changing and that there will always be a new way and a new day to start or continue my journey to a happier, healthier life.

Annie Atwood

Illinois State '22

My name is Annie Atwood and I am a senior at Illinois State majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Sociology. I have a passion for writing, reading, and creating media and content for the public!