Top Five Books You Need To Read This Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Reading has always been something I’ve done to destress. I’m always so happy when spring rolls around because that means the end of dark and snowy days. However, I don’t always have as much free time as I’d like. Spring means the end of the school year, which means a mountain of tests, essays and group projects. So, when I do get the chance to read, I want to make sure it’s a book I know that I’m going to love. If you’re like me and want some new reads for the spring, here are five of my favorites you should add to your list. 

• The Cheat Sheet by Sarah Adams

This was such a cutesy romance between two best friends. If you’re looking for something cute and fast-paced, this is definitely a book for you. This book also has some comedic elements, and the story is almost reminiscent of a springtime Hallmark film. 

• Feel Your Way Through by Kelsea Ballerini

One of my goals for 2022 is to start reading more poetry. I’ve read a ton of it for literature classes, but not much when it comes to my own free time. I decided to pick this one up because I love Kelsea’s music, and it did not disappoint. A lot of the poems in this book are ones I think many women in college can relate to, as she talks about body image and growing up. 

• Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

I LOVED this book. It seriously broke me, but in the best way. This story centers around childhood friends Macy and Elliot. The story alternates between a then and now timeline, as we see their friendship develop into something more to becoming strangers and then adults who reunite by chance. The development of these two characters and their relationship is beautifully done, and if you want something that tugs on your heartstrings, I’d definitely recommend this one. 

• All Rhodes Lead Here by Mariana Zapata

I adore Mariana Zapata. Even though her books tend to be on the longer side, I will always recommend her novels every chance I get. This book centers around main character Aurora as she moves back to her hometown and works on mending her broken heart. This story is all about second chances and starting fresh, which are also the same feelings we get when we transition into spring. 

• Terms and Conditions (Dreamland Billionaires #2) by Lauren Asher

I just finished reading Lauren Asher’s newest book, and it did not disappoint! Honestly, I end up loving anything Lauren writes. Her latest release is full of witty banter between the two main characters, a great slow-burn romance, and lovable side characters. Main character Iris is also obsessed with plants, which is perfect for springtime!

Reading is a perfect activity for any time of year. Springtime means new beginnings in my mind, and what better way to celebrate that than with a good book.

Caitlin Eichhorn

Illinois State '23

Caitlin is a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and Spanish. She is a member of Theta Beta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma and loves being a writer for Her Campus. When she's not studying or writing her novel, she is watching 80s films or hockey highlights.